Hi All,
I have just tried my hand at pickling for the first time and managed to get myself into a bit of a pickle with it (arf arf), so need a bit of a hand getting straight ...

I'm using "Vitex" Safety Pickle Salts from Cooksons. They came with two pages of safety instructions, but the only instructions on how actually to use the things was on the sticker on the side of the pot where it said "Use 50 grams per litre at 30-80C". I carefully weighed out 50 grams and put it in a (previously washed and cleaned with bicarb) 1 litre plastic bottle which I then filled to the top with warm water.

I used a quite old small electric slow cooker (never used for food) which was a sort of metal tin that rests over a sort of hotplate affair. It just had a little dial, with 0 - 5 on the front. I had no idea how to get it to 30 - 80 C so I whacked it at 3 and hoped for the best.

I put my pieces in (using copper tweezers as I gather steel tweezers can make it all go pink) and let it bubble away there for an hour. When I took it out however, all my bits had gone sort of a dull red tarnished colour. I subsequently barrelled them for 4 hours, but they're still dull redsville USA.

My questions are :
1. What have I done wrong?
2. Having gone wrong can it be fixed or are these pieces lost to me now?
3. Should a pickle be at a hot enough temperature to bubble or is that too hot? I have no real concept of how hot 30-80C is.
4. How long should I leave items in the pickle?

All advice gratefully received.

PS Am loving this forum .... where would I be without you guys??