Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pickling

Thank you Su for supporting my employer! lol

I have to say I bought my slow cooker from Tesco too, but only because staff discount and end of line clearance make it a bargin. I'm going to have a little go at soldering on Sunday and will test the 'pickle' out then but I'll be using Citric Acid - just hope I get the ratio right!

Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

I use citric acid and make a 10% solution with it. I don't even bother with a heated pot, I just keep it in a Pyrex dish which has a plastic seal lid and when I need it, take the lid off and pop it in the microwave for about 40 seconds until it's hot, drop my pieces in it and leave them for a bit. If there are really stubborn marks, I take the pieces out and wipe them down and re-heat the solution and give them a second dunking.

I keep two batches now, one for copper and one for silver. To get a really bright finish on copper, if I'm not in a hurry, I leave it in the solution until it's cold and just leave it overnight.

I'd probably not do it this way with different chemicals, but for the small batches I do, it works perfectly well - because I do it in the kitchen, I'm happier to use something inoccuous like citric acid.

I use a glass pyrex dish with a lid, and place it over an oil burner with a tea light. Works perfectly well!

I have various dinner table warmers, oil burners and fondus with tealights in, so I'm going to have to try this to keep mine warm, might help it along nicely - if I nuke it first the burners should keep it warm.

Thanks for the tips, I'd never given it a thought.

Occasionally when I forget to remove binding wire from a piece I've had the silver turn pink in the pickle. It's very easy to remove it with a radial brush on a pendant drill or a Dremel.

i to use a small pyrex dish sat on a tripod and warm it up with a meths burner but cold can work just as well especly if the pickle is new.

Emerald

In response to your comment about pickling copper, Boo, I wondered if you have some way of keeping copper shiny, as it tends to tarnish so quickly.
    Linda

copper is easily brightened back up with lemon juice and salt - but be careful not to leave it too long or it will go too 'pink'. I also discovered recently (and by accident) that popping it in an ultrasonic cleaner, even a cheap little one, brings up the original new penny shine perfectly!

I actually prefer my copper to have darkened down a bit, but you can help slow it down with a coat of microcrystalline wax, such as Renaissance.

George, would a coating of Renaissance stop the dreaded green neck/bracelet/adorned body part?
    Di x

It's funny Di, not everyone gets it. It only seems to happen if the piece doesn't move enough and stays in contact with the same place for too long at a time.

I think the wax does help a bit - I experimented on DH (as you do), who wears a copper bracelet, and it certainly made a difference, but then he doesn't mark badly to start with. If you want to try some, I've got a huge pot I could decant a bit from for you!