Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: soldering problems - please help this idiot

Unhappy soldering problems - please help this idiot

Hi all,
    I have trawled through all the posts relating to soldering and in theory, I should be able to do it.

In fact, I have managed a few joins with great success, using both the paste and the strip solder. But, my problem is, I cant do it now and I'm tearing my hair out because I thought I'd got it sussed

My torch is fully gassed so no loss of pressure

I've just tried about 9 or 10 different trial go's - I am getting the following happening:

the flux bubbles up, the sterling piece goes black but the solder strip is still solid.

the sterling piece glows red, the flux bubbles and the solder strip goes black, but not stuck.

or, the solder strip balls up into a blob and sits on top of the work,

I've tried getting closer, further away and all variations in between with the flame but still no luck.

With the paste, I am getting it form into a solid dark crumbly lump or bubble and then disappear!

My only thought is maybe my work isnt clean enough ?? if this is the case, how is the best way to clean it ready for soldering please??

Please can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - I am just about to throw the whole lot through the window

lol dont throw just yet Faith, what are you tring to solder and which solder are you using?

Only just seen this Faith - I've answered in the other place - but you'll get good advice here!

Thanks George -

Emerald, I'm using easy both solder strip and syringe paste

I'm eventually needing to solder an artclay silver top onto a sterling silver ring band. But I dare not attempt that until I know I've got the soldering right

From what I can gather, it seems I'm getting the actual joint hot too quickly and the bottom piece of work needs to be hot first.

Smile

Hi Faith!

Many thanks for the positive comments on my recent work, everyone is so encouraging!

I had the same problem and I find that the more you solder it the worse the problem gets. I am a newby at this but this is what I have found works. With the paste you dont need to flux as it already contains it (so they say). Clean both peices with a fine grade paper all over where it is to be soldered, if using the solder strip sand that as well both sides, make sure that both pieces fit flush and dont touch it with your fingers - use tweezers, heat the surrounding areas circling the flame then focus in on the paste but keep circling until it flows. With the strip, I heat up the wire first once the flux blubbles, glows slightly red then I add the solder strip with tweezers and keep circling the flame. Not sure if this is the correct way of doing it but it works for me.

If the strip stays red and does not move I get the pick and move it over the area. I tend to find that this happens if I am in a hurry and have not cleaned it properly. I use the easy solder though.

Hope it helps
    Angie

Hi Angie

Thanks for your help and tips - I am starting to think that my problems have been mainly to do with cleaning the pieces. I guess throwing them on the floor and stamping on them doesnt exactly help! lol

I've justbeen watching some Andrew Berry vids on Youtube - now if he just lived near me....

I feel a bit more relaxed now and hopefulkly will be able to give it another go in a while.

I'll let you kinow how it goes.

Thanks again

Faith

PS - your work is totally fab!!

Hi Faith

Have just read that you trying to solder Art Clay to silver ring, from what my silver clay book said you should use the oil paste. Nics may be the best person to clarify this, I have used it and it stinks but amazing stuff. The only draw back with that is that you have to wait until it is bone dry before firing it.

Zamauk.com says - Oil Paste type: Art Clay Oil Paste is an oil-based paste and it is formulated to act as a bond between pure silver findings, or between two fired pieces. It comes in two separately sealed jars. One has 10gm of the very thick paste, the other contains a thinner that is used to keep the paste at working consistency. Both jars must be kept tightly capped. Silver findings also can be attached to the piece by Oil Paste, and then re fired for adhesion. Fires at 800°C/1472°F for 30 minutes, or 850°C/1562°F for 10 minutes.

I have just amazed myself that I could help others from what I have learnt, never cease to amaze myself!

Take care
    Angie

Hi Angie,

I think this may be the answer - problem is that I dont have a kiln and I believe the oil paste has to be kiln fired.

I may just have to start again and do both parts with PMC and stick them together pre-firing - that way I can torch the whole thing in one go,

why did I say I'd make this damn ring???

Oh Faith my heart goes out to you!

I dont have a kiln, I torch fired mine! There is hope yet!

Angie

bless you Angie, these things are all part of the learning curve I guess lol
    I am going to have another bash tomorrow - with a fresh mind. If it all goes pear-shaped I'll just start from scratch and hopefully still be able to deliver the ring on Sunday, as promised!

Just been having another look at your lovely pieces - given me a few ideas - not copy of course, but new things for me to try with the PMC.