Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: soldering problems - please help this idiot

Talking

I have gone slightly away from PMC, but still have some for 'just in case'. Faith, I dont mind you using them to give you ideas, have you got any photos to share so maybe I can inspire myself with some of your ideas? If I can help in anyway with any other ideas please just shout. Send me a PM anytime.

Angie

Thanks Angie, I'd be ashamed to post any pics of my stuff - its pants in comparison! but, I am slowly getting more adventurous

this was my first (and only) attempt at stone setting to date! I doubt it would inspire anyone!

That is lovely! You are like me, always think your work is not that good until someone else sees it. How long have you been making PMC jewellery? I have only been making stuff since early September, but I am lucky I have been making sugar paste flowers for about 20 years so have that on my side with finishes etc. I look at the stuff that I made in the beginning and what I made last week and I can see a difference. Experimenting can be costly but as the others say on the forum they can always be used as pressies. I get great joy out of making stuff and am glad that I am not the only one that has had troubles in doing things. Andrews videos on YouTube are amazing, have a look at his website as well. I have learnt so much just watching and reading stuff on the web.

Keep at it as I will be also!

Angie

Thanks Angie, I've got a long way to go - I think I started with PMC about 4 or 5 months ago but of course, due to the expense of it, have only made a few bits. Mistakes can be costly but I think that its mistakes which teach me most.

I really love working with silver and if I can master this soldering lark, I would like to be more creative. All I need is time, money, experience and, more money! lol

If you haven't got a kiln, making the band in sterling and then soldering the fine silver as a topper is a great way to go.
    Torch fired silver clay is easy to underfire and this results in a band that would break in normal wear and tear.
    (For maximum strength I fire rings silver clay ring bands at about 900 for up to 2 hours )
    Sterling band or fine silver as a ring liner solves this problem nicely

Here's some PMC ring making tips
    Here's some sterling to silver clay soldering tips (for cufflinks but info is transferrable).

How thick is the wire you're soldering for your ring band?
    Is it flat wire, round or a d shape?
    nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

that is not pants at all well done, i have never fired a stone in PMC is the bail PMC aswell that looks really neat

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your interest. The idea of making the band from sterling was for strength - its for a customer so I dont want it to break on her! I am seriously thinking a kiln is the way to go but its a big expense and I need to be sure I'm going to a) stick at it and b) be any good at it - lol

The sterling band is D shape wire 3.20 x 1.60

I've looked into the fine silver ring liners but they dont seem to come in all sizes.

I've just looked at your soldering tips and saved it to my pc - I am sure to need to come back to it again! I am hoping that my problem has been one of sloppy cleaning - which is easily remediable. I'm going to give it another go this morning, now I am feeling a bit less stressed - I'll post on how I get on.

Emerald - you are very kind - no the bail is a st. bought one but I do like the pendant and I've kept it myself. Good piece for comparison for when (she says hopefully) I get really good

Hi Nic I wish id read your soldering tutorial before i tried soldering a pmc ring last night, one worked one didnt, but I'll go back and try again!

I use D shape wire a lot - I find it easier to ignore getting it into a ring shape and concentrate on lining the edge up for a nice tight join.
    (If needed you can saw through the join which makes it line up)

Once there are no gaps and I know it's tight I pop a good blob of paste solder on the inside of the ring and heat the whole thing to warm the metal before moving the heat to the front of the join.

The solder flows through to the heat and as soon as you see the silver solder on the front you take the heat away. Once it's pickled and cleaned I bash it to round on a ring mandrel.

Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Smile Soldering

Hi Abyjem

Your piece does need to be really clean,pickling it and then cleaning it with pumice powder making sure not to touch the area you have cleaned with your fingers,use tweezers to hold it or pick it up with clean a clean rag/tissue. Apply flux, not too much and then place the solder onto the required area again you do not need alot of this it is surprising how a little bit works. Heat the required piece trying not to direct the torch onto the solder itself you need to get the metal around the solder hot this then causes the solder to melt, once it does remove the heat straight away.....you don't want it to melt!
    Hope this helps.