Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Website

Thanks guys. I've passed on all the comments and hope the designer can sort them out. That was a really useful exercise as some of you have picked up things that look fine on my Mac. Thanks also for the nice comments.

Hold the front page there a second Carole

Firstly though, major improvements here and a lot better for seo possibilities so that's good.

The biggest thing I notice though is the large amount of unused space down the right hand side with just an 'online shop' link. I think you would be better by getting rid of 'online shop' and incorporating either a line type category menu or icon type menu here to go straight to the products - this would cut down on a click for the visitor.

Also 'Products' on the top menu bar might be better changing to a different word as I was expecting to see erm... well, products.

A more prominent 'About' link on the top nav bar would be better instead of embedding it halfway down on the homepage. An about category is a good idea because it gives the site a more human feel as opposed to the automated, soulless Amazon type sites. Images of you staring nonchalantly into the distance whilst running up a huge mobile phone bill (for eg.) instead of jewellery here and information about the designer always works well.

I like the different images on each header section but, like Jayne mentioned, the address could do with moving - on some the image interferes with the text.

You could do with a sitemap. A sitemap is essential for google indexing purposes.

I think that is enough for the time being although, apart from adding more keyword rich text, there isn't much more to do - well done.

I'd just like to add that I think your site is lovely Carole. I loved the previous one too. Works just fine, looks just fine on my computer. Made me linger for ages.
    Linda

One thing that strikes me is that your home page starts;

My jewellery is handmade in my studio in the heart of Cornwall. I use a range of materials, including sterling silver, gold, enamel and anodised aluminium. Whether you are looking for bangles, rings, necklaces, earrings or bracelets, I'm sure you'll find the perfect gift. My work is feminine and wearable and thus very popular as wedding jewellery.

Then says;
    Click here to read more about Carole

'Carole' could be anyone. Shouldn't it say something like 'Click here to read more about me, Carole Allen' ? As the resulting page goes on to talk about 'Carole' but the rest of the site says "...I do..." and "...I can travel to your house..." and "...my classes are small..."

I don't know what this is called but I'm sure someone who knows more about writing (Di?) would be able to clarify?

The shop loads OK for me. But it is not clear that if you hover over the first and last photo (when you select a category) that the images 'slideshow' in the little strip that is displayed. Is there any way you can highlight this as it is a fantastic feature (I found out by accident)?

Contact page - do you really want a map of where your house is? Do you want callers, or should it be 'by appointment only'? (I know anyone can look it up on streetmap etc, but you have given it to them on a plate)

Other than that it is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Ominicci; 25-11-2009 at 10:58 PM.

I agree with Nicci that you are making it very easy for someone to find you and my initial thoughts were about security and mentioning that you work in gold. Perhaps you could exclude it from the wording and just say that you work in a variety of mediums - which are highlighted in your lovely photographs. Just a thought.

Apart from that, your website is absolutely stunning. I love the beautiful colours, the exquisite jewellery and if I wasn't learning the ropes myself, I'd definitely be a buyer.

Jules

He's made a few changes and hopefully it's better now. Thanks for all the input. Let me know if you have any more thoughts please. Ooh and on Google.com I'm on the first page for jewellery classes Cornwall and UK! I know that may change, but hopefully I won't go too far down the list.

Google.com I'm on the first page for jewellery classes Cornwall and UK
    !

Bloody 'ell, maid, you've achieved the glittering prize there, eh? Well done you!
    Di x

Geti will be impressed x

Having a map on your site is a big plus. If the address is clearly shown, which it must be to instill confidence in the site owner, then having a map can only benefit the site. Whether you are selling from home or from a shop, there is always the security element to consider.

There is very little worse, apart from no traffic, than not showing contact and address details for killing sales on a website.