Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearable or Art Piece?

Default Wearable or Art Piece?

I have just received my digital copy of the new Metal Clay Artist magazine and have had a quick flick through it....I'm looking forward to having a good read of it later!

The thing that struck me as I viewed some of the 'makes' and gallery pieces was - although they were stunning - how many can actually be worn by a normal person on a normal day?

One example shows a massive metal clay flower with copious dangles as a feature on an asymetrical necklace. It looks beautiful in the photograph - but I can't believe that the feature flower would stay positioned 'at 4 o'clock or ESE' unless you didn't move when wearing it...I'm sure if you leant forward it would begin to drop to centre front with gravity! Even if it was only worn for very special occasions - you don't want to be forever readjusting your necklace! The same goes for some of the rings...very dramatic and clever...but how do you - slip your hand in your pocket - pick up the baby - successfully visit the little room??

Do you make 'Art Pieces'? Do they sell? Do you consider practicality when designing a piece? Would you be happy selling a piece that you know won't look as good when worn as it did when pinned onto a display? Have you ever bought something that looked fantastic but was a nightmare to wear? I'd love to hear your experiences and thoughts...

I'm definitely with you on this. Those pieces look fab but they'd never sell in Truro! It is a shame cos I started out thinking I'd never make boring safe stuff but here I am 10 years later making flowers and hearts for all I'm worth. I'd love to make esoteric but I have to make a living.

Bee - I think an art piece as a 'come on' is great in a display. People will be drawn to your work just to look at it and marvel at it yada yada yada but, when it comes to the filthy lucre, they're gonna buy stuff they can wear to the local Beefeater/Bingo Hall/Pub
    Di x

I don't sell many of my 'art' pieces (I call them sculptural) which is a shame cos I like making them.

I also have the problem that mine are so differenet to my other work that it feels wierd displaying them together.

I agree with Di, a few unusual pieces really do draw attention to your display and then people look at the price tag and settle for something a little more conventional, having said that I sold this piece at the weekend, which was designed specifically to draw attention, it is quite heavy and about 5" long and 3" wide and is therefore not something you could wear everyday. But amazingly a lady recognised the amount of work that had gone into it and said that as soon as she had seen it she knew that she was fated to buy it for her daughter, so there definitely are some people out there that appreciate our efforts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	744

(By the way, I am in no way claiming to be artistic!!)

Oh that piece is gorgeous - I can see why she would want to buy it. It would have tempted me.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Two streets from the Tunnocks teacake factory!

Here's my tuppence worth. I may be sticking my head over the parapet and risking pelters.

I can admire the skill and imagination involved in "artistic" pieces but for me jewellery is something you wear. To me if you can't wear it, it's not jewellery.

I'm still very new to this and don't have formal training so I'm perhaps missing the point. I went to a degree show at an Art School during the summer. It's the first time I'd been to one and I just felt quite disappointed. There was nothing there that you could take off its display and wear without worry it would break or without discomfort. In fact there was one "ring" which had a sign taped next to it that said "Do not touch - fragile!". What kind of ring is so fragile you can't touch it?

Like I say jewellery for me is something you wear and show off as you go about your daily business - not something that has to me mounted on the wall in your house for fear of damage.

PS - Lisa - love that necklace. To me that's definitely wearable.
    Last edited by fi79; 25-11-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Sometimes that can be both but I'm definately a fan of comfort even on the bigger pieces. Then again all my pieces are bigger pieces lol
    nicx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Bee - I think an art piece as a 'come on' is great in a display. People will be drawn to your work just to look at it and marvel at it yada yada yada but, when it comes to the filthy lucre, they're gonna buy stuff they can wear to the local Beefeater/Bingo Hall/Pub
    Yeh - I can see that but what happens if someone wants to buy something that you know will not wear the way it looks on the display stand you have - for instance something you know you have arranged to perfection on the display but will hang differently round a human neck where it isn't pinned or balanced just so! Do you explain to them that it won't look so good on...or that bits of it will catch on their clothing...or whatever. Do you say it's not for sale...or do you take the money and run??!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Quinn View Post
    I agree with Di, a few unusual pieces really do draw attention to your display and then people look at the price tag and settle for something a little more conventional, having said that I sold this piece at the weekend, which was designed specifically to draw attention, it is quite heavy and about 5" long and 3" wide and is therefore not something you could wear everyday.
    I think that is lovely Lisa - and it doesn't look 'unwearable' to me...it might be unwearable on me however as I am not exactly flat chested!!! It would depend on how long the chain is!

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    ...but what happens if someone wants to buy something that you know will not wear the way it looks on the display stand you have - for instance something you know you have arranged to perfection on the display but will hang differently round a human neck where it isn't pinned or balanced just so! Do you explain to them that it won't look so good on...or that bits of it will catch on their clothing...or whatever. Do you say it's not for sale...or do you take the money and run??!!!=:-
    I have a piece like that - it has to be arranged just so, and if care is not taken when you first put it on it can look twisted and uneven.

I also look at some pieces in the US mags and think that they are only wearable on the catwalk. But some artists only produce such pieces and that is what they are known for (and get their money for). I don't know that I could work under such pressure as I am not 'innovative' enough!!