Thread: Pearls!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pearls!

Hello,
    I was wondering if someone can enlighten me about pearls? I know about fresh water pearls but what are other pearls?

Basically, I've bought a few, some that were called grade A glass pearls which were good quality and other pearls I bought that were just called pearls and they appear to be some kind of cheap coating on a white bead. What should I be looking out for?

Also can anyone recommend somewhere I can buy good quality white round pearls in different sizes?

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hello,
    I was wondering if someone can enlighten me about pearls? I know about fresh water pearls but what are other pearls?

Basically, I've bought a few, some that were called grade A glass pearls which were good quality and other pearls I bought that were just called pearls and they appear to be some kind of cheap coating on a white bead. What should I be looking out for?

Also can anyone recommend somewhere I can buy good quality white round pearls in different sizes?

Much appreciated.
    the thing about pearls is that a proper seawater lucky find natural pearl is rarely ever perfectly spherical (like billions to one odds), they can be any shape really but they tend to look like wee potatoes, they are also crazy expensive (moreso the closer they get to perfectly round).

for something that actually looks like a pearl stick with freshwater cultured pearls. they're made in the same way a pearl is, by molluscs and oysters, but there's a bit of tampering by man in the process. the bit of grit that the pearl forms round is implanted and the molluscs get turned over and things like that. not synthetic, but not really naturally developed either. it is chemically a pearl but it's ...too perfect? if that makes sense?

cookson do a quite nice line actually, i got a couple of 5mm ones for a project and i was pretty pleased with the result.

I get the most beautiful pearls (great quality ) from integrity pearls, little bit more expensive but worth it.. As was post earlier the nearer to round that they are then thats where the bigger money is charged.

Quote Originally Posted by amazingbabe View Post
    I get the most beautiful pearls (great quality ) from integrity pearls, little bit more expensive but worth it.. As was post earlier the nearer to round that they are then thats where the bigger money is charged.
    I tried them many times several years ago, but was very disappointed with every strand I bought, and they weren't the cheap ones. I now buy freshwater ones from YouPearl in China. Stachura Wholesale carry beautiful sea and Tanitian pearls, and they were recommended many times by many other jewellers.

There are two reasons why pearls should be knotted if you are stringing them on silk or a silk substitute.
    1 - the knots form a 'hinge' so that the strand moves smoothly and with a good drape. Pearls without a knot will drop on the stringing material and leave an unsightly gap by the clasp - or you will string them tightly to stop the gap and the necklace will be stiff and unbending
    2 - in the event of a breakage only one pearl can ever be lost.
    Gimp - also called french wire - is the little 5-7mm piece of coiled up wire slipped over the silk to protect it from rubbing wear as it goes around the clasp. It both protects the silk from rubbing damage and gives a 'finished' professional look to a piece of work. Available widely in gold or silver plated and more unusually in other colours
    For lots of info on different types of pearls you could look on my website. I just got back from a buying trip to the international gem show in Hong Kong.

I buy my fresh water pearls from Burhouse (hope that's ok to mention them)?, and if I want 'faux round ones', then I get Swarovski pearls from Grove Beads as they do a good range of sizes and colours and are excellent quality.

Hope that helps.
    Jules

I like the swarovski pearls - they are good if you want a perfect round shape but don't want to break the bank!

Sorry to latch on to an old post but I have some pearl qestions too!

Do pearls have to be knotted (or bead spaced) inbetween - can't they just be strung next to each other?
    And sorry for being thick but what is a gymp/ gimp and how do you use it?
    Can pearls be strung on wire?

Thanks if anyone can help.

You can do what you like with pearls, the reason for knotting them is for safety. If the string breaks and the pearls are not knotted then you will lose pearls as they bounce around the floor. I have used pearls as Lily of the Valley flowers on my flower pieces, see my album.
    I bought my last pearls from Harriet Whinney see her website to see what can be done with pearls; http://www.harriet-whinney.co.uk/index.htm
    James

Thanks James,
    Really appreciate the wisdom from someone who knows what they are talking about. Your work is exquisite. I hope that one day I have the chance to see it in person.
    Tanya