Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you remember......

Oh yes, hot pants, boob tubes and platform boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Bend Me Shape Me (Anyway you Want Me); Wide Eyed and Legless; If Paradise Was Half as Nice
    My sister was born in '53 and was my 'style icon' when I was little. I remember my Dad recording the record charts show off the 'radiogramme' on Sunday afternoons because she loved all the singers so much - including Amen Corner - but her special love (after Paul McCartney!) was Scott Walker...I had the other 'brother' as consolation prize - can't even remember his name! Anyway - my Dad had an enormous reel to reel tape recorder and had to hold the big square mike up to the speaker in the radiogramme cabinet to record the music!! All so high tec!! This tape recorder was almost as heavy as I was at the time and I thought it was a fantastic magical machine!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post

Those were the days - one long endless summer, and the winters were never as cold.
    Can't imagine what years you are talking about!! My first 7 years were spent without central heating - with the consequent pretty ice patterns on the insides of the windows. Lino floors in the bedrooms - to add to the abject misery of getting out of bed on winter mornings.

And the third of a pint milk bottle (which were free to primary school children each morning at school) were frozen so solid the milk had expanded and blown the foil tops off! It had to be consumed however...I went to a Convent School and the nuns wouldn't let you waste anything! Oh the misery!!!

Oh - nearly forgot! When I went to secondary school and had to follow the ritual of rolling up the waistband of my skirt to achieve a miniskirt look despite the fact that the bit of leg between the long white socks and the miniskirt hem went numb and turned purple with red pimples all over from the extreme cold!! Very attractive!!
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 24-11-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    I had 2 space hoppers.

Also had pogo sticks
    I was bought a cheaper version of the spacehopper - it was round and rock hard compared to the genuine article so I never got a good bounce out of it! I was so jealous of any spacehopper owner!

And pogo sticks! I was very competative and used to have competitions with my friends to see who could do the most jumps. I stopped that after a session where I wore right through the skin on the insides of my thumbs and my ankle bones... they oozed yellow goo for ages before finally crusting over...and I don't remember ever touching the pogo stick again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Who among us (not including Jason) wore hot pants?
    I never had the legs for hotpants! I do remember having a banana yellow suit with orange flowers all over it. It had bell bottom trousers which I wore a lot and a wide lapelled jacket. I suppose I must have worn it as a suit on occasions - but I seem to have blanked that from my memory somehow!!! ...can't imagine why!!

Never had hotpants either, I afraid I was a teenage punk ( no spitting though, urrghhhh, too gross) I had fabulous cropped purple hair with little blonde spikes running through it, I also has a wonderful pair of purple patent pointy shoes from The Great Gear Market on the Kings Road, they were my pride and joy, until some dipstick dropped a pint on my feet at Siouxsie and the Banshees gig, they were completely ruined and I was completely gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    My sister was born in '53 and was my 'style icon' when I was little. I remember my Dad recording the record charts show off the 'radiogramme' on Sunday afternoons because she loved all the singers so much - including Amen Corner - but her special love (after Paul McCartney!) was Scott Walker...I had the other 'brother' as consolation prize - can't even remember his name! Anyway - my Dad had an enormous reel to reel tape recorder and had to hold the big square mike up to the speaker in the radiogramme cabinet to record the music!! All so high tec!! This tape recorder was almost as heavy as I was at the time and I thought it was a fantastic magical machine!!
    Ah, the radiogramme! We had a big long low one sort of like a coffin and it was my mum's pride and joy. She teak oiled it to within an inch of its life. My dad used to get LPs through the post of classical music - to give me a bit of culture - Peer Gynt, Swan Lake. Music for Pleasure they were.

We also had frost patterns inside the windows and lino on the floor - a yukky germolene pink in my bedroom. I used to get dressed under the bed clothes in the mornings and then go and wipe my face round with the flannel in the bathroom.

And did the winding up of the skirt thing. I went to a posh all girls grammar school and we'd have spot checks on skirt length. We had to kneel on the ground and if the hem of our skirt didn't touch the floor some punishment ensued - can't remember what it was. Also, grey regulation bloomers. OMG
    Di x

PMSL at this thread - you can to group members into ages by their memories. I'm defo on the older-end of the scale - jubblies, sherbert dabs, rolled-up school skirts, no heating, outside toilet, tin bath, lino, merry maids, Simon Dee, Monkees (Davy Jones xxxx) and the precious radiograms.

Some fond memories
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Yep, hot pants and mini skirts that came to the tip of my thumb nail with my hands at my sides (daren't bend over in them at all!) which I wore a lot with thigh high skinny high heeled black boots!
    I was deeply in love with Marty Wilde in my teens. Our school, also girls' grammar, wouldn't let you wear any colour of long sock except grey - no knee high white socks for us! We also weren't allowed to eat sweets in school uniform!

Lorraine

I had a Pippa doll but wanted an Action Man (Sindy would've done at a push).
    So I swapped my Space invader game for a skateboard and an Action Man uniform.
    Pippa had her hair cut off and her face painted cammo with biro...
    (Think it was the first GI Jane)
    Mum found out and made me swap them back camoflage Pippa didn't look right in her party dress though!

Don't have to worry for old fashioned sweets, Hubies shop has them all including Powder coated milk bottles, Cola Cubes, Sweet Tobbacco (coconut), Cough Candy Twist, Real Liquorice Root (the woody stick kind), loose sherbet and a whole host of other stuff

My favourite kiddies show was the Wombles and Pertwee was my First Doctor Who.

Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver