Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does this look any good?

It is probably that the tumble dryer goes much faster than the barrell polisher, giving a much harder hit of the steel.

The steel shot and barrelbrite are made to go tumblers, which go at a slow regular speed.People please stop suggesting tumble dryers!! It's a bit like put the kitten in the microwave to dry it off!! Doesn't work!!

The dents are there.

What a shame. I suppose you could try filing the dents out but it depends on the piece. Could you incorporate the dents into the design maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by emroyjewels View Post
    Ok, I don't know if this is possible, but I threw my silver creation in with a load of shot, washing up liquid and water, and chucked it in the tumble dryer.

It came out looking shiny, but also covered in mini dents from the shot. Can any one tell me
    a) what I did wrong
    b) how to fix it
    c) if there is a foolproof way to polish silver (even if it takes forever it's surely better than wrecking a piece?)

Unfortunately it was a piece for a customer, and I really don't feel I can send it out looking imperfect. Probably not the best piece to experiment on (fool that I am!), so I'd love to rescue it rather than starting again.

Completely annoyed with myself now, probably should have bought some rouge instead of jumping in with the shot which appears to have been a bad move for me.

Put it in a container attach a magnet to the outside and you are ready to go have tried this as an experiment and only the OH clothes where in there and funnily enough............................ ooooh lots of shinies xx

Tumble driers don't go fast at all! You do need to attach the container to the drum though, or it's falling from a height, which won't work. What size shot were you using though - I'm surprised it's managed to dent silver.

If it's a flat piece, you could probably forge it back to pretty flat, and then use emery paper/micromesh and retumble. Before I got my tumbler, I used to just roll my jar of bits back and forth under my foot while I was doing something else, thereby getting a bit of a foot massage in the process

Default You guys are awesome

Thankyou so much!

Will be off to buy some micromesh to try and rescue it now.

Really appreciate your help guys, shall experiement again, but maybe not with a customer order.

Default Polishing

I got a bench polishing machine from these folk, and it isn't noisy at all

[url=http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/[/url]
    Last edited by Hart-Star; 28-11-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
    Neil