Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this look any good?

Looks just like mine which does the trick fine. Have to say though the plastc lidded barrels are a pain in the backside, however the saving in cost is worth it in my opinion.

And re the kiddies tumbler - tumbling stones does take days and days!!!
    Lucinda

For jewellery you will need a vaned barrel, the vanes are on the inside to throw the shot about as it rotates. Rock barrels tend to be smooth on the inside.

The motor base can be used for either.

You don't need a vaned barrel for jewellery. Myself and plenty of other people I know have barrels without vanes and they do the job just fine and have done so for years.
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by WitchfordSilver View Post
    For jewellery you will need a vaned barrel, the vanes are on the inside to throw the shot about as it rotates. Rock barrels tend to be smooth on the inside.

I don't agree - lots of people think you need fins, but in a rubber barrel, the shot tumbles just fine as long as it's not filled more than 1/3 in total (including shot, metal, water and barrelling medium). The problems come when people overfill them and there isn't enough room for stuff to move around.

My only reservation about the plastic barrels is the sheer noise they make. Fine if you've got somewhere to leave them and it won't annoy you though!

Quote Originally Posted by WitchfordSilver View Post

No you don't - discussed at great length some months ago. Many of us have barrels without vanes that we use perfectly successfully.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    My only reservation about the plastic barrels is the sheer noise they make. Fine if you've got somewhere to leave them and it won't annoy you though!
    I actually don't find the noise to be that bad, but if you can put the tumbler in a room and shut the door on it than you probably wont hear it at all.
    Lucinda

Noise isn't a problem really as it's outside in the workshop. Well I think I'll try the kiddies one for now and then when I'm rich, famous designer I can invest in a more heavy duty one

I didn't know what a vaned barrel was until I came on here. Mine is unvaned and I often get compliments on my shine and finish.

I've got one of those Beech ones but TBH I got fed up with it leaking all the time. When water leaks it makes the spindles wet and the barrel won't go around. I've got a rubber barrel one now and it's much much better. It doesn't like the cold weather much though and takes a while to speed up.

I have the beach tumbler and get one with it fine,it is a bit noisy but i just shut the door and it's not too bad, i actually like to hear it so then i know it's turning properly!!! x x
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk