Thread: Scam?

Default Scam?

I've had an e-mail from the Kennedy Best of publishing company All About Art! Artists, Competitions, Best Of Art Book Series, Visual Art Guide, Events, News, Features and Columns - Best Of Book
    saying that they've looked at my work and would like to offer me a 2 page spread in their "Best of Jewelry Book". They've mentioned the name of a piece of jewellery on my site, so they must have looked at it. Their website looks legit and they're offering me this for $44 to cover their set up costs, which seems quite reasonable. I've looked at their pastel book and it does look fab.

Am I being conned? If I am, they're really clever.

Normally the publisher covers all the printing & set up costs AND you often get a free copy too!
    Having said that it's not a lot of cash but I'm wary of a non juried puplication.
    Why not ask them about their selection process, who owns the pictures, takes them, submission guidelines,
    copywright on pictures of work, etc etc
    nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Carole its a generally held tenet in the publishing world that publishing shouldn't cost you anything. Check it out carefully first sweetie.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that publishers wouldn't select your work for their books - but they should be paying you.
    Di x

Also a web robotty thing (sorry no technical names here) could easily take any text direct from your website to make the email seem more legit.

Please be very wary of it!

These are juried publications. The problem is that your $44 entry fee (which covers up to 10? pictures) doesn't guarantee publication. If over 200 artists submit entries, then some will not be included. These are quite common in the US. I know a couple of people who've been in similar books, and whilst they're pretty, I'm not sure how many copies are actually printed or sold.

I think they're quite pretty books, but you have to decide if it's enough exposure to be worthwhile with such a US-centric publication.

You do retain copyright to any images published btw.

Aha, I didn't realise there was no guarantee of publication. I don't think they picked up something automatically from my website cos they spelled it slightly wrongly (unless that's part of the trick!). God I'm becoming such a sceptic in my old age!