Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A soldering question

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I think if you're trying to solder that much in one go, you might need to consider investment.
    I wonder if delft clay would work. If I made a bed of clay. press my pieces into the clay to make them steady, flux the pieces, lay my solder and heat.

You can use steel dressmaking pins pushed into the soldering block to hold things in place (not glass headed ones). I have successfully done this before.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    You can use steel dressmaking pins pushed into the soldering block to hold things in place (not glass headed ones). I have successfully done this before.
    Another good idea. Thanks. This is a cheap way of doing it.

I have no experience with this technique, but I looked in the 'Madeleine Coles 2 in 1 jewellery manual' and she uses plaster of paris in the same way as investment.
    Just a thought (?)
    J x

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I have no experience with this technique, but I looked in the 'Madeleine Coles 2 in 1 jewellery manual' and she uses plaster of paris in the same way as investment.
    Just a thought (?)
    J x
    Does plaster of paris withstand high temperatures then? That could be an option if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Just a thought (?)
    J x
    I have that book at home. I'll have a read when I get back from work this evening. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Filament View Post
    I have that book at home. I'll have a read when I get back from work this evening. Thanks.
    project 19 - filigree brooch - page 91
    good luck
    J x

Quote Originally Posted by Filament View Post
    Does plaster of paris withstand high temperatures then? That could be an option if it does.
    I used it to make moulds to slump glass into when I was at college. You do have to make sure it is TOTALLY dry though (or it tends to explode - although I would have thought that would be the same with investment powder) - which does take ages! We used to leave them on top of the massive kilns for a week!! It does tend to crumble a bit after going through the slumping process in the kiln but I'm sure it would take the heat of soldering OK. I'd wear safety specs though just in case bits fly off!

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I tried it with the steel pins in the soldering block with great success. Thanks for the idea.

With that many tubes, you wont have enogh grades of silver solder to play with, plus silver gets hot overall anyway to take a solder properly, so the lines between using a hard med and soft solder become a bit blurry with silver, unlike gold.
    Glue is a big no no, your only real option is to measure the O/D of the tubes, and get a drill that size, or just under (and a round file) and drill right through the ring, and use tight fitting holes and push the tubes right throug, slightly protruding inside, and then solder all at once as they will stay in place. Then use saw to sut off protrusions inside, and file flush.
    with a hard solder, yo'ull never see the join, plus, with solder over run this is a better way to do this task, even with one tube than flush mounting on surface.