Thread: copper plating in pickle

Default copper plating in pickle

I seem to have committed the sin of allowing steel into my pickle and one of 4 silver bracelets is now copper plated. (Why only one I have no idea!).
    Does anyone know how to remove the copper plating and get my silver coloured bracelet back?

Copper plate from pickle is usually so thin it doesn't stay on for 5 minutes. A good polish or tumble should do the trick. Having said that I've never had that problem so can't speak from expierience but I believe that you need some serious kit to put a good plate on.

Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

Default Re copper plating

Quote Originally Posted by silverjane View Post
    I seem to have committed the sin of allowing steel into my pickle and one of 4 silver bracelets is now copper plated. (Why only one I have no idea!).
    Does anyone know how to remove the copper plating and get my silver coloured bracelet back?
    I think you will find that the reason only one went pink is it was at the point it entered the pickle some steel etc came into contact with the pickle and the item. Might have accidently put it in with tweezers?

I have read somewhere to make new pickle strong and very hot you could try that.(If it is not a soldered item maybe reanneal?)
    Hope it gets sorted.

Mix a little fresh pickle then add a little Hydrogen Peroxide to it.
    Use gloves and eye protection. It kind of supercharges your pickle and should remove the offending copper plating.
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

As far as i understand it the pickle removes copper from the surface of the silver which comes to the surface during heating, this leaves the copper in solution in the pickle. If you now place steel in to the copper rich pickle it will cause a small electric current to flow between the steel and the silver. This will start a mild electro-plating affect to take place and start coating the silver with copper. The longer it’s left the more copper will be deposited.

Quote Originally Posted by WitchfordSilver View Post
    As far as i understand it the pickle removes copper from the surface of the silver which comes to the surface during heating, this leaves the copper in solution in the pickle. If you now place steel in to the copper rich pickle it will cause a small electric current to flow between the steel and the silver. This will start a mild electro-plating affect to take place and start coating the silver with copper. The longer it’s left the more copper will be deposited.
    Not really it is a pink surface colour not like copper which is he reaction between the silver/ pickle/ steel. The copper deposits in pickle combined with silver etc can be used in the chemical reaction to do granulation.

when its happened to me the colour has always been a beautiful salmon pink colour. Sadly it's incredibly thin and wouldn't stand up to any rough treatment - such as a good polish
    Di x