Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revamped but have I got it right ?

Default Revamped but have I got it right ?

Hi All
    Putting my head above the waves a bit here. First and Foremost I'm not in any way shape or form a website designer but I've had a go and I've done it all from scratch. The original, obviously now superceeded by this one, went live on 3rd October 2009. This was my first website since 2001.(Long Story)

Now that I have done it can I ask for honest and constructive comments please.

To my eye - it is very much more appealing than the first attempt but if you never saw the first one your not going to know.

Thanks in Advance

Carl

You sure you're ready for this Carl?

The first thing that strikes me is the dark colours. The reason that the majority of websites use light themes is because they are easier on the eye.
    Black text on a white background is the best combination for readability - white text on a black background is the next best, but combining too many text colours is not a good idea. (Especially the gawdy red and blue text - very harsh on my eyes)

In the eight seconds that you need to capture your visitors, you may find that the colours may force them off your site even before the page has loaded.

2. Carl Martin Jewellery - ok, but where is it all? All the text is good for search engines but people will want to see what you make as well.

Sorry Carl but I think Geti's right. I find those bright colours hurt my eyes and don't make me very inclined to linger.

I'm sorry too Carl, but I found the purple very hard on the eyes, and there was quite alot of information to plough through, and I think that many people would find it a bit too much. I know that you probably spent alot of time and energy on this, but you did ask for opinions.( I hope that didn't sound too harsh)
    On the other hand I asked my OH and he said that it has done it's job, coz I asked his opinion about it and got us talking about it. Hope I don't sound too confused.
    Love and light,
    Maggie[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

Ouch, I have to agree with the comments already made. Don't those colours make your eyes hurt?

Also, I was looking at your site the other day, before the changes, and I did notice a distinct lack of jewellery. I wanted to see what you made and there was nothing there.

Hope that's not too depressing 'cos you've obviously put a lot of effort into it.........and I couldn't do it.

Hello Carl
    Just took a look at your site.
    I can see what Geti & Carole mean about the colours etc. - they do jar a bit - and a few more photos of your work would be nice.
    The overriding sentiment that I do have about the site is that it's really ......not sure how to put this......'blokey'.....
    I was clicking through the links and just got this Barry White voiceover in my head 'hey, baby......we really got it together......come on over and watch my rotating diamond..........oh, yeah.....'
    ahem.
    On the plus side; loads of info, clean & clear, everything works & functions well
    J x

Tell ya what I like you lot on here more and more.......... I actually agree with you in all respects I'll have another go tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

In defense (explanation really) I don't have many pictures because of issues over copyright of my designs nearly 8 yrs ago. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and up until october this year and had no web presence at all from 2001 til now..

thank you all so much (mean that not in a sarcastic manner )

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Some sort of gallery of work would definitely be beneficial.
    Jason you are right as are the rest of you..

As it was already "tomorrow" when i read your replies having spent the best part of 9 hours on it, it's now definately today ...0326 eeeek ..hahahha

I have redone the colours and added pics as the last thing I want to do is put people off.

Gallery will be next on the agenda..... no where was that box brownie.

If you can have a look a the revamped mark II I'd be obliged.
    Last edited by Carl Martin; 19-11-2009 at 02:26 AM.