Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revamped but have I got it right ?

Hi Carl

I wasn't around to comment on your earlier version - went to bed early. Now I'm paying for it at 04 something or other. But, for what its worth, here are my thoughts:

1. Like some of the others, I logged onto your 'longstanding' site earlier in the week and was disappointed - there was no passion there, despite the fact that you are obviously passionate about what you do. The fact that you've made a move to change at all is A Good Thing
    2. I like the look of this version - the black on white is clean and the pictures invite me to stay and take a look
    3. If you had the pics linked deeper into your site, you would improve the SEO but that's a secondary consideration at this time of the morning
    4. I think you need to rethink(!) your font/headings so that they are more consistent throughout the site.
    5. Umm - some grammar issues too, although only a couple

Di x

I didn't have a chance to post last night, but very much agreed with the concensus.

However, this morning's version is a huge improvement - I wouldn't have believed it was the same site. Much, much more pleasant to read, some pictures which instantly grab my attention, and far better layout.

Like Di, I'd say there are some typographic issues - in particular the use of capitals on the front page, and too many emboldened areas - you don't need to shout now - we're reading quite happily! There should be just one font (the sans face on the front page is the better choice imo).

I noticed that I'm getting a flash of black as each page loads, which suggests that the base template still has a black background too.

Overall - well done - it's brave to come and ask us for opinions, as we're always going to be honest, but you've taken it all on board and I think the results are so well worth it.

You've been bookmarked now

OMG what a difference! I haven't had a chance to read through it but the immediate impression is sooooooo much better. Can't believe you did that so quickly.

Woo! Carl! What a difference!
    Completely different feel to the site now - likey lotty
    J x
    (Meant to mention it before, I really love that wraparound leaf ring)

Hi Carl i have looked at your site before but i just looked today and it looks so much better, its just the home page still looks a bit of a mish mash can you align the text perhaps in boxes and remove some of the lines that start and end in the middle of the page but dont connect with the next one. The events pages etc look really clean.

(sorry thats my fourpennys worth and i cant realy talk cos i need to do loads on mine lol)

Wow, that makes such a difference! It's now much more pleasant to read.
    I adore the pendant on the home page - very chic.

Hi, just a thought but you might want to rethink the use of underlining items to make them stand out. Underlines are usually links and I've been to a number of places on your pages where I thought they were links but they weren't. This is just one fad of mine but might be something to think about.

Fi

Again , thank you all very much for your input I'm still tweaking as I go but as I say I'm restricted in my knowledge of web design and the knowledge to actually get it on the site.

Jasson :- I will be putting up a gallery soon but I need to do some work with photoshop or buy a new camera before I start that as I have always believed that a crap photo is worse than no photo at all.

I like the over all feel, pic wise would be great to see some of your commission work (and some sketches- scan them in while waiting for that camera). Pic of studio (and you or students at work!), pics of what some of your students have made/ your sample pieces would be great too! just some ideas for when you get that camera. I get the feel from the site more about the courses than commissions...is that your intention??
    good luck, great work
    Em

Wow. What a difference. I don't know anything about making web pages, which is why I didn't comment before. But it looks great now. Like a completely different and more professional looking site. But as a great internet shopper and user of many web pages, I just wanted to say that I don't really like having to scroll down long pages. Does all that info on courses etc need to be on the home page? Or is that something to do with getting more hits? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
    Linda