Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampwork sales

Default re niche markets

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    The internet has spawned the explosion of niche markets and there is a lot of money to be made from these.
    As a newbie to site I still dare to disagree with this!! The real world exists before the internet.It is still an add to reality unless you have a system to breed money from eggshells or suchlike!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niche markets can only be made from an awareness of a product of quality, it is not a magic euphoria machine!!!

so, the crux of the matter is to raise awareness - how does one go about doing that. Is it a matter of advertorials in mags and newspapers, really good site optimisation - what?
    Di x

Wish I knew Di. I don't think advertorials work that well. Certainly the ones I've had didn't generate much business. Sadly, most people seem to be taken in by designer names. They'll buy a Pandora bracelet for twice the cost of a handmade one.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Wish I knew Di. I don't think advertorials work that well. Certainly the ones I've had didn't generate much business. Sadly, most people seem to be taken in by designer names. They'll buy a Pandora bracelet for twice the cost of a handmade one.
    Same with most markets I'm afraid - in my 'real' work all publishers want to buy is 'celebrity' biographies! I hesitate to call them autobiographies cos most of them are ghost written.

Seems if you don't have a 'name' you're stuffed
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    so, the crux of the matter is to raise awareness - how does one go about doing that. Is it a matter of advertorials in mags and newspapers, really good site optimisation - what?
    Hello
    I feel it is up to the makers to put the effort in to make people aware of this as a special art form. Raise the profile. On their websites etc.

For it to succeed imports etc their needs to be differenciation.

How about the lampwork people getting together to create an association even if all their work is different? Could really give the work credibility!!! I am a member of the ........

I suppose we just have to keep doing more prestigious shows in order to raise our profile. I was amazed at how many people knew my name at Country Living and some people even came with a shopping list having seen my work before. Trouble is, those shows cost mega money and the profits are, therefore, less than lower priced local shows. You can't win really.

As a newbie to site I still dare to disagree with this!!
    Oooh we like a challenge

I didn't make myself clear on that remark, yes there has always been niche markets but, before the internet, promoting them was very difficult. Now with the internet it is possible to 'make money from eggshells' (56,000 search results on google - somebody somewhere is making money from this niche market. When I was a kid I used to buy crushed eggshells to mix with groundbait for fishing.)

Competing with other websites for high ranking search terms on a particular market is difficult for most, but target the lesser known markets and search terms and so find your niche, can bring in big rewards.

Niche markets can only be made from an awareness of a product of quality
    Niche markets exist whether the product is high or low quality

afaik, Christine, they already do. GBUK - although whether or not that is sufficiently directed towards the public or not I don't know as I'm only on hte very periphery (for that read building up the courage to buy the stuff and give it a go )
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Hello

How about the lampwork people getting together to create an association even if all their work is different? Could really give the work credibility!!! I am a member of the ........

erm... How about

"I'm a member of GBUK" Glass Beadmakers UK (UK)

"I'm an SRA" Self Representing Artists: Specializing in Glass (international)

Both are trying hard to raise awareness, but it's like pushing water uphill with a rake most of the time.

PMSL - posted at same time George
    Di x