Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whose the tutor?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    My tutor was amazing, look at my progress in 6 months and I only turned up for 9 classes. Ofcourse Saskia can set stones, she does her own alloying, knows all about texturing and the other basics and can even cut stones. That is what I call an amazing tutor, pity she has relocated back to Belgium.

I sense that you are very skilled Carl, it is obvious you can stone set from the wonderful jewellery on your site, I would imagine you get many students interested in that aspect.

I really hope to teach in the future, maybe 2 years or so when I am mustard at everything. Would be great to inspire people and pass on everything that I learn.
    Thanks for your kind comments Jason. I'd like to think I'm skilled at what I do and almost talented on occassions.

As for the courses I do... I get a fair few that are dissatisfied with their current course for reasons described on this thread, or they just don't "gel" with their tutor. Mostly and I'd say 80% are total newbies. Very very few wishing to progress with faceted stones though.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    I really hope to teach in the future, maybe 2 years or so when I am mustard at everything. Would be great to inspire people and pass on everything that I learn.
    When you are "mustard" at everything, J? do i need to bring a jar of Colmans with me for my lessons? English or Dijon? :P sorry hun couldnt resist the tease
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

it's definitely not uncommon, by the end of the course i was doing most of my fellow students were coming to ask me for advice on how to do things and borrow my books, it was pretty good for the ego but i nearly failed the damn course because i didn't have time to work on anything!

the course was a bit of a mess all round really, i think we went through 4 teachers in one year. we got no explanation for two of the disappearances, one went to pregnancy which is a shame because she was easily the best teacher, and one went because of "**** all y'all, i got a job in a working jewellers' now, seeya!" which kinda tanked classroom morale utterly.

I'm doing an evening course at the moment and can recognise a lot of what's been said here. My tutor is lovely and, I think, very experienced. But between 20+ students all doing different things, and often commenting on the state the "daytime" students leave the equipment in, I wonder if Im getting better experience at home with the equipment I've bought and a few good books (and all the advice here!). My PMC work has all been done in small group classes, and I've learnt so much, but it's cost a lot more than the evening class.

Quote Originally Posted by elliboo View Post
    and I've learnt so much, but it's cost a lot more than the evening class.
    but does it really? I did an 8 week course with a fabulous jeweller who teaches to and one of the girls said she learnt more in that than in a college. Less students means more time with the tutor. Add to that the weekly studio days and I think I have had a really good deal!