Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whose the tutor?

Angry Whose the tutor?

I reluctantly went to class tonight, really have no enthusiasm for it, and took my recent work with me as the tutor had said to me that she would like to see what i had been up to at home.

so i took in the swirly stuff and chainmaille bracelet etc etc you know all the stuff i have been doing including the bracelet that i hope to photograph for you to see tomorrow, and she was examining it all and then started to ask me how i had done certain bits and about the maille etc. And i was thinking , hang on theres nothing particularly technically difficult here and yet you are asking me how i did it?

She then called everyone over to look and proceeded to tell them how it was done!!!!!! And then offered to show people with copper wire.

Then i said to her that i wanted to start on the serpent pendent that i had designed some time ago. When we had looked at the design and i told her that i wanted it domed and twisted she suggested some big D wire, and showed me some so that we could decide on the size and said that i could then make a domed head from sheet on a doming block. So i dutifully bought the wire and even a doming block and punches.

When she asked what i was going to work on tonight now that the stones were set in my bracelet, i reminded her of the pendant and she said oo yes i remember, i got the wire out tonight and asked her about texturing it she said "ooo are you sure you want to do it with D wire cos thats going to be very hard to twist, and i wouldnt make a domed head i would make a ball" i just stood there with my mouth open. I had got what she had said to get and now she says its not the best thing! I wanted to smack her.

I do often wonder how many unscrupulous tutors secretly use their students designs as there own? Not saying that mine would, i realy dont know, but i guess i was just floored that as a college tutor she didnt appear to have a wider knowledge base.

I may be doing her a complete injustice and apologise to her in her absence if i am but it certainly did nothing for my confidence in her, and almost defintely made me decide that i will not be reneweing my termly fees.

winge over :P
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Oh that's no good Su. Perhaps you should look around for a better course. Are there any others locally? Even at my local evening classes, the tutors were recentish graduates with a little practical experience, but they were all extremely knowledgeable.

It's no good going if you have lost confidence in her advice. Your heart just won't be in it.
    Linda

Default re tutors etc

I know what you mean, worse the teacher that says get the materials and then'Oh no you can't do that'

I eventually left all classes and learnt myself, set up my business selling my work and now teach workshops myself. My aim is people go home with work they are happy with and knowledge they get from me.

Conventional classes still teach things like using archimedes drills etc what the heck!!

The worrying thing is, Su', that you know how bad she is because you belong to a community that is populated with some very talented people. You can ask questions, get answers and think about things. What about those poor students who think that the tutor is the font of all wisdom?

Not good, not good at all.
    Di x

Is it a local college course Su? I ask because I think a lot of these cater for complete beginners and aims to teach them how to perhaps make a basic pendant or a simple bezel set ring. When I attended a college course my tutor was lovely, but the things that I really wanted to learn ( stone setting, casting etc) weren't covered at all and I just used to work on things at home and used the lessons to use the college's big tools..rolling mills, big torches, sandblasting, polishing wheels, etc, but predictably didn't sign up for the next course.

Sorry that you are feeling fed up with it, how many more weeks have you got left of the course?

Oh Su, she sounds absolutely awful!!! You have every right to be mad!! It the course run by a college or is it independant? How many lessons do you have left? Maybe worth changing, especially now if you have lost confidence!!! xx

Is your tutor the reason you were reluctant to go tonight?

Oh Su' that's awful.

Silly woman! (I won't elaborate it's a family forum)

Looks like you would be better off saving your money next term. Seems you have already taught yourself more at home than she'll every be able to. Remember one swallow does not make a summer, she may have been able to pass on your technique tonight while it's fresh in her mind but she won't be able to do it all the time.

Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

Oh Sis', that's a bummer

Make a list of things you want to learn and ask her about them. She must know something so you might as well reap the knowledge & get your money's worth
    J x