Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is on your (jewellery) bookshelf?

nic

is this book any good?
    as i saw on amazon was wondering what its like.

1000 Rings - A Lark Jewellery Book

stu g

I borrowed it from the local library - along with the 500 brooches and 500 necklaces books. They are fine - as far as they go - but they do only just give an image of the ring and a couple of lines of info about the ring and the designer/maker. This link gives you a chance to look inside...Jewelry Tools - 1,000 Rings
    Personally - I wouldn't recommend it to purchase - unless you just like looking at some weird and wonderful rings...

thanks for that link.i see what you mean about the weird lol.
    maybe i will look for it in my local libarary first.or maybe ebay for a cheap copy if it ever comes up.

stu g

You can request that the library access books for you (usually from other libraries – but they do also buy them in for their own stock sometimes). You can then borrow them under their usual terms and conditions. Our library charges 75p per book for this service…but it is well worth it rather than making an expensive mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    You can request that the library access books for you (usually from other libraries – but they do also buy them in for their own stock sometimes). You can then borrow them under their usual terms and conditions. Our library charges 75p per book for this service…but it is well worth it rather than making an expensive mistake!
    i never knew that thanks thats worth knowing for anything in the future.

stu g

I'm another person who thinks that Coswell's Creative Stonesetting book is excellent, and I'd really recommend that to anyone looking into setting stones (or, in fact, anything else. One of his chapters has given me inspiration for "setting" fabric in silver).

I don't have any Tim McCreight books and was wondering which you all thought would be the best one to go for, please?

Hot and Cold Connections - TimMcCreight
    Is a particularly useful book, well laid out easy reference
    (course my favourite is his PMC Decade book,very inspirational for us Silver Clay folks)
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Dust, i need to read my books more!!!!
    Neil

I got a book for Christmas called The Crafter's Devotional - 365 days of tips, tricks and techniques for unlocking your creative spirit. It is aimed at anyone who does any sort of crafts (except fine art or graphic design type subjects) and is broken up into weeks using a different technique each day of the week to help you do, or think about, something different, to get you 'out of a rut and into your groove'.

Skimming through the pages there are some good ideas and some that could be related to jewellery making.

Monday - Journalling; write, draw or make notes. I can see how Journalling provides a visual prompt to help you remember a technique, design, pattern or other things that may be useful to you.

Tuesday - recycle, reuse or revive - seems pretty obvious and one of the entries is using trash - there is a type of jewellery called Steampunk, which incorporates bits of machines, cogs, circuitry etc. There is also an entry on the meaning of 'Modify' - altering for the better, adding a new twist or aspect to the item.

Wednesday - collection, stash and materials - look at what you've got in a different way or even a different stash for a different purpose; look in your sewing box, or tool shed for items to inspire your jewellery. Step out side your comfort zone "The turtle makes progress only when he sticks his neck out" is one quote. Or try something again that you have put to one side.

Thursday - Personal history - Look at things that define you and use them to inspire you - a favourite book, place, piece of clothing. Revist your childhood and the simple things that used to interest you. Think about what you would make for your favourite popstar, actor, idol, member of your family, hero.

Friday - Non-craft inspiration - Get out and look elsewhere for inspiration; a shipyard at the boat names, an artist and their paintings, flora, fauna and fresh air, "The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes" Marcel Proust.

Sat & Sun - Collaborate, Gather & Experiment - look at another artist's work and do your own interpretation of it, ask a family member to work with you on something, only buy items in a shop that catch your eye first, work in grid style, try meditation before you start work.

Some of sounds a bit methodical, and it repeats itself a lot. I'm not going to follow it religiously but dip in and out of it when I feel the need.

OOh thanks for sharing that with us Nicci - that sounds like a really good book and one I shall hunt down in the library - if its as good as it sounds, I'll probably buy it.

Lovely stuff.

xx
    Jules