Thread: Cleaning up old solder

Default Cleaning up old solder

Hi, I've 'inherited' a bracelet made from old threepence coins. Looking on the internet, I think a couple of the older ones are silver, the rest are a silver alloy. Each coin has had two tiny rings soldered to each side, allowing them to be joined together to form the bracelet.

My issue is that the soldering has been done incredibly messily - I think it may have been someone in a shed with a soldering iron rather than a jeweller. The solder has spread quite badly across some of the coins, obscuring the design. Is there anything at all I can do to clean up the coins? I'm guessing not, but I thought I'd ask here before giving up on it altogether.

I'd like to remove the links and use the separate coins to make new keepsakes for myself, my mum, sister and nieces - would heating them to melt the solder work for this?

Any and all advice gratefully received! I've hopefully attached a picture to give you an idea.

Thanks
    Caroline
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160220-170412.jpg  

There is no knowing from the photograph, what solder has been used, but I would assume that only the cleaner coins can be rescued by grinding or filing away the white metal. The others can be tested to find the melting point of the 'solder'. It will satisfy you curiosity, but it is likely to be a contaminant for your work area.

Another idea is to simply replace the missing jump rings with stout ones that do not require soldering. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 20-02-2016 at 05:08 PM.

I saw a tip once from Lexi Erikson about using copper to 'leach away' excess solder. Haven't tried it myself but if I find it again I will post the link. Here it is
    http://www.jewelrymakingdaily.com/bl...ldered-jewelry
    Last edited by theresa; 21-02-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Hah. Home-made desolder braid, albeit in a thicker grade than used on electronics.

As said above solder braid/wick will remove most of the solder, however I think you will be left with a very thin coat, you could gently remove this with very fine wet&dry