Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What is on your (jewellery) bookshelf?

Hi
    I'm new to this forum stuff so not sure if this has already been asked but if so I couldn't find it. I noticed in this thread that Creative Stonesetting by John Cogswell has been recommended for different types of stone setting. I have already done bezel, claw and tube setting so is it worth getting this book, and if so where can I get it as Amazon only have second hand copies at £56!!!!
    Thanks
    Laura

With an expenditure like that for a book you are unsure of, perhaps you could check out your local library (if indeed such things still exist in the UK) and if they don't have it ask them to get a copy, as I believe one used to be able to do. That way you can check it out with regard to that which you already know and see if it is actually worth buying.

Thanks Kwant, my library doesn't have it in stock but I have requested it, so I'm just waiting for a reply from them now.

I won't post all my books, but this is my latest purchase (anyone else have it?): Wire & Bead Celtic Jewelry, By Linda Jones
    Always looking for unique gifts.

It's whatever you're into at the moment Dori. For reference I like more kinky books, such as:

'101 Bench Tips for jewelers', by Alan Revere, some of which are pretty ordinary, but others more interesting. Anyhow, cheaper than visiting San Francisco.
    'At the Bench', by Gregg Todd & Greg Gilman. Some common techniques you should have learned at the bench, but never did.
    'Cheap Thrills in the Tool Shop', by Charles Lewton Brain, Describing home made tools and modifications you didn't even know you needed.

Regards, Dennis.

This is my book collection.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookshelf 1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	3424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookshelf 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	3425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookshelf 3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	3426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159 Book cover JM Master Goldsmith.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	3427

I think I've seen the Cartier one, but other than that the only one of those I've got is the one on the right... Several of the Faberge ones are available on Amazon at reasonable prices 2nd hand.

Peter, I love buying books, my last purchase was The Crown Jewels, by Anna Keay, this is interesting as it has photos of the royal crowns that have been altered over the years, it shows the crowns without their set stones. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Crown-Je...2490367&sr=1-1
    I bought this book mainly for a photo of the Armills presented to Queen Elizabeth on her coronation, they were made by the man who taught me my trade.
    I have also bought a book on the history of Garrard. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garrard-Crow...2490402&sr=1-6
    I was recently surprised at the value of some of my books,when I was asked about a book on engine turning that I have called "Engine Turning, 1680-1980: The Tools and Technique" by Martin Matthews and Amazon wants £550 for a used copy. I have a signed copy that I bought from H.S.Walsh in 1984.
    By the way they only printed 500 copies of my book, so it's value may also appreciate in time, who knows.
    James

Much to the despair of my OH, I'm as much of a bibliophile as I am a tool junky. The Booth book on Faberge has just arrived, having cost me just under £7 shipped. I had a look at the Crown Jewels books briefly; I'm quite tempted, particularly given my great-great-(great-?)grandfather was Keeper of the Jewel House.

It is strange the value some relatively recently out of print books acquire; not that it matters much to me from a selling perspective, only buying. It'd be nice to see yours appreciate too.

I was just re-reading Complete Metalsmith by McCreight. On page 15 it has a quote by Paul Hasluck, from Metalworking (1907).
    Well, it turns out that an earlier edition of that book is available for free online:
    Metalworking - Tools, Materials and Processes by Paul N. Hasluck, 1904
    I haven't had chance to read it yet, but there is a detailed chapter on Repousse with some lovely illustrations.
    There is a full list for the site here:
    Masters' Library - I haven't read any of these either, but I'd imagine Engraving Metals and Brazing and Soldering would be of some interest.
    A nice slice of history, and for free :-)