Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: What is on your (jewellery) bookshelf?

Elliboo: Of the three I think you might find: Setting Stones in Metal Clay - Jeanette Landenwitch the most useful
    Lou it's a fantastic book & I think worth the price but it IS an Eye candy and inspiration book rather than a technique manual
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Question

Can anyone recommend a really good beginners silversmithing book? I'm after a book that goes into basic detail and instruction on a wide range of working with silver. Something which gives enought detail for a novice to get started, but covers a wide range of things, so I can work out how to do things but look for more detail on the things that really 'take my fancy'.

Thanks!
    Helen

Step by Step Jewellery Workshop by Nicola Hurst is a good one - I took it in to show my tutor and she was very impressed with it and said she would recommend it from now on.

Default Penland Book of Jewelry

I've just received and leafed through The Penland Book of Jewelry (sic). It is a really superb book! Fantastic contemporary pieces and careful, detailed tutorials in photographs.

Jaime Pelissier's chapter should be supplied with every new rolling mill, I swear I've made every single one of those errors!
    Last edited by ps_bond; 03-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Joe,

Where did you buy that book. Amazon says it hasn't been released it and available for pre-order.

Bizarre. Wonder what Amazon are up to there?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penland-Book.../dp/1579906982 - the more expensive hardback, but available.

BTW Joe - I've taken the liberty of stripping the session data from your link, hope that's OK.

Thank you Peter, I'm disappointed that I didn't notice I'd done that!

I bought it new, through Amazon, from a supplier in Canada (bookcloseouts.com) - a total of less than £10 including delivery for the hardback - and it arrived in about 10 days.

If you are interested in silversmithing try The Craft of Silversmithing by Alex Austin, good start up book with lots of photos, and then Silversmithing by Finegold and Seitz. This is an old (american) book but is full of fantastic info. The other thing I used to teach myself is a dvd by Christopher Lawrence, available from Goldsmiths Company. The Theory and Practice of Hand Raising. Good luck. Jane

Hi everyone

This is an amazing thread! I'm just writing to let you know that today is World Book Day and we've officially launched a new competition here on the forum. It would be great to raise some awareness on this celebration and find out what books everyone has read recently! Please have a look here, join the conversation and win a little treat for yourself! Happy reading!

I would suggest Jewellery Making Manual by Sylvia Wicks. Not sure if its still in print - i got mine from Amazon. Very clear step by step instructions and covers all the basics and loads of other stuff.