Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is on your (jewellery) bookshelf?

Quote Originally Posted by bustagasket View Post
    I have just been making a list from this thread in my trusty note book, and actually if people were willing to do reviews, not on all the books they own, but perhaps on their favourite one it would be really usely for those of us who, like me, dont as yet have a clue on whats good and whats not.

So i would be REALLY grateful to anyone who contributed to something like that. I have already taken in all the comments so far and have a wish list of 7 books so far
    I recently bought Creative Stonesetting by John Cogswell - looks like a fab book. I have studied only the Bezel settings chapter so far but it is clearly written, seems to cover every possible variation and also talks a lot about trouble shooting and dealing with mistakes. Also his choices for his way of doing things seem to be well explained and justified, which I like, because, the 'we do it this way and that's that' attitde drives me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moss View Post
    Best technical reference book we have on the shelf here at YSOJ is Oppi Untracht's Jewellery Concepts and Techniques - but it's not a bedtime read and not one to be read from cover to cover. More of a dip in when you need to know something.
    I recently bought this one too, looks brilliant although not done much more than flick through it as of yet. It's more exoensive but you get A LOT of book for your money!
    Lucinda

I've lost my "complete metalsmith"!

What's a girl to do in this kind of situation?

Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley
    I agree - fantastic book!

Just started re-reading and drooling over Brilliance!: Masterpieces from the American Jewelry Design Council. How fab is that book? We should do a version!

Oppi Untracht's book is on my Amazon wish list (Amazon has got a third off that book at the moment) even though I know it is too over the top technical for me. Although he does go into a lot of jewellery history. He died last year.

I mentioned elsewhere that today I recieved Elizabeth Olver's The Jeweller's Directory of Shape and Form. Thin paperback, but lots of pictures for ideas. Not a technique/instruction book, but more of a description book. I concur with all the Amazon reveiws of it - even the critical one, but am still glad I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominicci View Post
    Oppi Untracht's book is on my Amazon wish list (Amazon has got a third off that book at the moment) even though I know it is too over the top technical for me. Although he does go into a lot of jewellery history. He died last year.

I mentioned elsewhere that today I recieved Elizabeth Olver's The Jeweller's Directory of Shape and Form. Thin paperback, but lots of pictures for ideas. Not a technique/instruction book, but more of a description book. I concur with all the Amazon reveiws of it - even the critical one, but am still glad I bought it.
    I have 2 hardback copies of that, stupid idiot here bought he English and American versions thinking they were different.

Omnicci - don't you just love the piece called 'The Crown Jewels', would make a fabulous pendan't I am sure!
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    I have 2 hardback copies of that, stupid idiot here bought he English and American versions thinking they were different.

Omnicci - don't you just love the piece called 'The Crown Jewels', would make a fabulous pendan't I am sure!
    Arrrgh just got mine through Amazon, would've bought yours off you if I'd realised sooner

nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I just ordered a copy of Creative stonesetting from Amazon. Hopefully it will be here by tomorrow

Anyone here own or in this?

The Compendium Finale of Contemporary Jewellers 2008

It's huge!!!!

No, but I know someone who's in it.