Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is on your (jewellery) bookshelf?

My book collection is embarrassingly small for someone who has more books than anything else in her room

Bead On A Wire - Sharilyn Miller
    The Complete Guide To Wire & Beaded Jewellery - Linda Jones
    Bead & Wire Are Jewellery - J. Marsha Michler

The top one is my favourite for techniques as the pictures and explanations are very helpful. The other two are more for inspiration as their technique sections aren't great.

Can anyone recommend a good book for a beginner wanting to try things other than wire wrapping?

~Rosie

thanks peter i found a site yesterday after your post that showed the inside of the ring1000 book and not really to my taste some lovely rings but i'm looking for more wearable rings ... i will carry on looking for a good stone setting book tube,flush settings etc with some projects

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post

1000 Rings - A Lark Jewellery Book

Oh! Oh! Oh! I have that book! I love, love, love, love, love it! So inspirational and always finding something new no matter how many times you look through it

The ones I use regularly are :-

Bead on a Wire, Sharilyn Miller (a good one)
    The Jewellers Directory of Gemstones, Judith Crowe (its my latest book and really interesting learning all about the gems and how they are treated to give different effects)

The Beaders Colour Mixing Directory, Sandra Wallace (I use this one all the time, plus it has a colour wheel at the back)
    The Bead Selectors Bible, Elise Mann (I use this ocasionally)
    Bead and Wire Jewellery for Special Occasions, Linda Jones (Bead on a wire is better, I think)
    The Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques, Sarah Withers & Stephanie Burnham
    (Rosie, I am not sure if you mean more beading techniques, or silversmithing - it covers embroidery, threading, knotting, knitting with wire, decorative knotting with macrame, loom techniques and beadweaving but this might interest you ?)

Then there are the "oh, I'd like to make something like that" section - I thought it would be good to aim high .... um oh well, its good to dream.

Basic Jewellery Making Techniques, Jinks McGrath
    Jewellery Making Manual, Sylvia Wicks
    Jeweller's Resouce, Bruce Knuth

Plus one about making handbags, as I'd like to make them and then embellish with beads...

Jules x
    Last edited by Petal; 26-07-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: I forgot to recommend a book for Rosie

Hides in a corner, i only have one book so far, so busy trying to collect equipment i just cant buy everything at once and now i wanna look into the pmc (all your fault Barabara having been to your site and blog :P) and also enamalling and and and and........................... i want to learn everythinggggggggggggggggggggg

the library is good they have a good selection i requested a few books today 1000 rings being one of them and a few others from peoples "BOOK SHELF" list ...

Red face I'm SO sorry!

SORREEEEEEE! bustagasket - (sheepish grin)
    But I'm sure we have all been there....no....tell a lie......
    I wouldn't mind betting most of us have seen stuff on this forum over the past few weeks and said to ourselves...'ooo, I fancy having a go at that!' OK so perhaps your 'to do' list is a little longer than some...but hey....think of the fun you are going to have over the next few years!!
    Barbara
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 26-07-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: missed out who I was answering!

omg yes, my poor husband is already growning at all my - "i really needs" loland i am gradually moving into my sons room (he lives more at his girlfriends now) and i need a craft room!!!

Sorry, have been away.

Nic & Barbara - the Wrap, Stitch, Fold, Rivet book is one of my 'just OKAY' books. It is not my favourite book to refer to, but there are some good ideas in it. The finished items are a little too 'rough and ready' for me; I want to get hold of some of the items and smooth the corners out or polish out the scratches. The gallery pics are good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    The Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques, Sarah Withers & Stephanie Burnham
    (Rosie, I am not sure if you mean more beading techniques, or silversmithing - it covers embroidery, threading, knotting, knitting with wire, decorative knotting with macrame, loom techniques and beadweaving but this might interest you ?)
    I was leaning more in the way of silversmithing, but knitting with wire sounds interesting. Thanks, I'll look it up