Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel Polishing

I wouldn't be without my tumbler now. I got mine this year when i went to the IJL show, nd i always have a stupid grin on my face when i open the barrell and start pulling out all my shinies.

Its not something you will regret buying
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Me too Su!!

Regarding the jam jar, I read something not too long ago about how someone uses their tumbler drier - they put everything in the jam jar like IndigoBlue says and then put a STRONG BIG magnet on the lid of the jam jar, then attaches the magnet to the middle of the back of the inside of the tumble drier and switches it on (cold or low heat I presume!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ominicci View Post
    Me too Su!!

Regarding the jam jar, I read something not too long ago about how someone uses their tumbler drier - they put everything in the jam jar like IndigoBlue says and then put a STRONG BIG magnet on the lid of the jam jar, then attaches the magnet to the middle of the back of the inside of the tumble drier and switches it on (cold or low heat I presume!)
    blimey with the price of electic i think in the long run it would be cheaper to buy a jewellers tumbler, not entirley sure but surely they are cheaper to run than a drier

Quote Originally Posted by Ominicci View Post
    can you put the towels in at the same time?
    J x

No problem. It'll give you a good idea of the finish you'll get with a barrel polisher and I'm sure is a way off the results of leaving it in a polisher for 2 hours but it's not a bad alternative.

Fi

A dumb question, but I can't get my head round tumbling silver. I gather from the forum that they can be used for pmc and small intricate items such as head pins and chain, but can larger items made from silver sheet be tumbled? I'm thinking of bangles and pendants such as these, I imagine the textured finish on the bangle and ring would be OK, but would I get a high shine on the dog tag?? Sorry to be so dumb, but I don't want to waste money on the wrong kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002 - Copy (2).jpg   015 - Copy.jpg  
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

Default Re barrelling

Hello

ALL of my jewellery is tumbled. I don't polish anything with rouge etc.As well as finishing it well, it work hardens the silver.

I leave my work in hot pickle and then tumble it. Make sure you rinse the jewellery under the tap to get rid of pickle before adding to tumbler (don't forget steel and pickle can discolour silver)

Hope this helps.

Hi Sunny you wouldent get a high shine on the dog tag as it has a flat service but the bangle would be fine

Thanks Jo and Christine, I think it comes down to tumbling most things, but giving the pendant polisher the kiss of life for the few flat things I want a shine on.
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)