Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A tad overwhelmed

Default A tad overwhelmed

Although I am very enthusiastic and determined to learn how to make lots of lovely shiny things - I can't help feeling overwhelmed at the moment.

I'm not able to attend a night class at the moment both for financial reasons and because of work commitments and am learning mostly through books.

Every time I attempt something, I either am missing a tool, or part of a technique, get confused about the gauges v mm sizes of rings and wire and cant make decisions about what beads and stones to play with.

Then I have lots of idea's which I can't get out at the moment because I can't do anything and then when I read lots of posts on here I just wonder whether I will ever be able to understand half of it let alone put it into action

I just wondered whether others have little blips like this or whether its just moi!

That said, I have found everybody on this forum extremely kind and helpful and that motivates me to keep on keeping on until I can do it too ...
    Michelle x

Oh Michelle, I know exactly what you mean and have felt like that many times in the past - still do now, sometimes. I would look through your books and make a list of the tools/beads you need and see if you've got them. Even if you haven't got the exact beads, you could use some others instead. Try not to learn too many new things, 'cos you'll have that overwhelmed feeling. Just practice, practice, don't give yourself a hard time, take it easy and you'll be fine. We all have bad days where nothing goes right, the last few days have been like that for me, so I kept my head down and didn't post much. That feeling always passes and you move onto feeling good and things just click into place.

Here's a big from me.
    Jules

Heh, yeah, it happens. I have a little notebook to scribble my ideas in so they're there to come back to once I have the required materials/tools/ability!

Stay simple! If I'm making something and I'm not sure what it should be to start with, I choose all my materials first so I have a little pile of beads and wire and jumprings (or colours of clay). Then see what you can make with the tools that you do have.

I actually wrote on all my little packets of jumprings what the AR was - they already had the wire thickness and diameter printed on, but if they hadn't I'd have written those too. It makes it easier for me to immediately pick out the right ones
    (And I keep all my measurements in metric - I might have to convert everything in a tutorial before I start it, but I find it much less confusing that way!)

Hi Michelle,
    Please dont feel overwhelmed, I know theres a lot to learn but thats half the fun! I learnt a lot of my techniques from books and some of my worst mistakes have led me on to my best pieces!
    I have sketch books full of ideas that I cant get out yet, mostly due to not being able to afford the tools/metals to make them. Keep playing with the stuff you do have and who knows- maybe you will invent a new techniqe!
    I think we all get a bit frustrated at times but keep going, its so rewarding when you get that technique right for the first time!
    Heres big from me too
    Hannah x

Thanks everybody

I suppose half of the learning process is not only learning the skill but also learning the speak and uses of tools and equipment, as well as the technical stuff and I kind of know if I put some effort into that it will help me in the long run.

As usual I just want to know everything and do everything now - I wasn't at the front of the que when they doled out patience
    Michelle x

Oh Michelle i sooooo know where you are coming from. I have been playing at this game for six months now, and as you can see from my signature, i want to know it all yesterday. I too am trying to build material and tool stock and it takes time and is sooo frustrating when i see stufff in my books that i want to try but am missing something. So i put little pieces of paper in sticking out of the top and on them i note what it is i need for it so that when i buy some different size wire or a specific tool off my wish list, i can just flick across the paper at the top and see if i have fulfilled my missing requirements to do any of them

I have so much i want to try, and i feel a need to learn something every weeks, but although what i might learn is not something major or a new technique, the little tips i pick up off here make up for it.

Keep plugging away hun, we will learn as we go, and i am sure even the most experienced here would say they are STILL learning
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

I'm so with you Michelle - I love reading all the messages on the forum but there are so many things I don't fully understand yet, but it's all things to aim for.

I've been learning from books too and fiddling with whatever I have on hand while "playing" and meanwhile trying to make a wish list of tools.

I have a nasty habit of buying beads with an idea in mind, then failing to write the idea down (I have a 'design ideas' notebook too) and then doing something different with the beads.

Stick with it, I'm sure you're more capable than you may feel you are right now.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I'm sure we've all been there

I've never had the opportunity to take classes - the sum total of my 'formal' learning is two days of silversmithing, which I did to make sure I wasn't doing everything completely wrong after teaching myself. I find books very useful, and also some of the internet based resources, including videos. There are lots of links to these on the forum.

I found it helped me most to try and focus on one thing at a time. Either perfect it, or decide it's not for me (lots of those!) and then move on. Trying to take on too many things at once just left me in a muddle, which is easily done. Now I'm happier to jump around between various UFOs, and start new ones all the time as well, but without feeling swamped by it all.

The most important thing to remember is that if it's a hobby, it's meant to be fun too. If it stops being fun, then sometimes you need to take a break and do something else for a while!

Oh, Michelle, this is me!
    I used to be good at sticking to one thing and following an idea through.
    I now haven't a clue what to do............so I'm not doing much of anything and have half finished abandoned things all over the place.

This weekend I'm going to try and focus on making a birthday present for my Mum, using techniques I'm familiar with. Hope that might get me back on track.

Strangely, with textile crafts, like knitting and quilting, I was/am queen of the UFO but with jewellery this doesn't seem to happen. I think its because the materials are so obviously valuable. Some of my yarn and quilting fabrics cost a fortune but they don't seem precious in the flesh - if you see what I mean. A piece of silver sheet or wire, or an exquisite one-off bead looks and feels too valuable to abandon because I've moved onto another project.

Well, it makes sense to me anyway...
    Di x