Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GETI's balls on a chain!

Nice balls . I prefer the second version - I suspect the first one would end up with its balls on the wrong side of the wrist.

Agree about the clasp - either a nice handmade one, or something that looks a bit more 'expensive' than a bolt ring.

Just as an idea, have you tried wiring your beads with a full double wrap in the same AR so they integrate into the weave a bit more seamlessly?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Agree about the clasp - either a nice handmade one, or something that looks a bit more 'expensive' than a bolt ring.

Just as an idea, have you tried wiring your beads with a full double wrap in the same AR so they integrate into the weave a bit more seamlessly?
    I'm going to work on clasps (when I have time - never seem to have time) soon and usually go for an S-clasp as I can just about manage them from wire.

At the moment I do the wiring of the beads that way 'cos it's the way the book I learnt from did it - although I don't have a mandrel/pliers of the right size for the loops right now. Um, can't remember what "AR" means I must admit.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

AR means aspect ratio - its the all important ratio between the diameter of your wire and the inner diameter of your ring. By keeping it the same for the bead links as you have for the rest of your chain, and by using a double loop, the balls will fit seamlessly into the maille looking like they are part of it rather than add-ons.
    Di x

Nice balls . I have you tried wiring your beads with a full double wrap in the same AR so they integrate into the weave a bit more seamlessly?
    At the risk of sounding stupid again! What is this?, how do you do it ? and do you have any pics of what you mean?

P.s I really like the balls and bracelets, especially the one with the three balls seperate.
    Michelle x

Like this Michelle (sorry for the old picture, but it was the first one I found)

Slip one of the jump rings you're using onto round nosed pliers and mark the top and bottom of the ring onto the pliers with a sharpie. Use these marks to wrap the loops behind the beads and you effectively have the first two rings of a unit. You can do the same thing and spread the rings for weaves like persian.

Don't want to hijack the thread though (sorry Anne).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails integrated byzantine.jpg  
    Last edited by mizgeorge; 11-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Oops sorry didn't realise I was potentially hijacking the thread.

I will take notes and maybe when and if I ever get that far ask again on a new thread.

Thanks for the picture though it does look lovely.
    Michelle x

No problems on the questions/answers in the thread - all helpful to me.

Actually I was using the marked round nose pliers way of working, the pliers that I marked on the last item I made with rings sourced from the same place as the rings I used on this - so I expected it to come out the same size like last time. But I guess I didn't get it quite right.

I'm finding that using the round nose pliers it's difficult to get consistent sizes 'cos of the fact that the round nose pliers are not consistent in size from tip to handle - either the loops come out bigger or smaller than the AR of the rings and I'm not sure what to do about that. I wrapped the loops on this piece in the same marked place and in the same direction as last time but it just doesn't seem to have worked. Any advice would be appreciated George
    Anne

I actually have a series of notches filed into various old pairs of round nosed pliers (use a triangular file and just file one side, which will NOT be the side you wrap onto). The two I use most, without a doubt, are one set at 2mm (for charm wraps) and the one set at 3.5mm (the standard 1.0mm byzantine ID, amongst other things!). Always wrap so that the new bit of wire winds onto the right spot, pushing any previously created loops down towards the tip of the pliers, rather than forcing them up, which will enlarge them. I wonder if that's what happened this time? I also tend to break the necks of any wrapped units so the bead holes are in line with the weave rather than diagonal - simply because many beads are patterned, or designed to lie straight - or are not perfectly round (I don't use a lot of absolutely round beads!).

Alternatively, wrap the loops on either a set of stepped pliers or straight onto a mandrel and then shape them perfectly into place on your round-nosed. I believe David Scott Plumlee has recently launched some mandrel tipped pliers designed specifically to work with his byzantine and box chain designs.

I actually have a series of notches filed into various old pairs of round nosed pliers (use a triangular file and just file one side, which will NOT be the side you wrap onto). The two I use most, without a doubt, are one set at 2mm (for charm wraps) and the one set at 3.5mm (the standard 1.0mm byzantine ID, amongst other things!). Always wrap so that the new bit of wire winds onto the right spot, pushing any previously created loops down towards the tip of the pliers, rather than forcing them up, which will enlarge them. I wonder if that's what happened this time? I also tend to break the necks of any wrapped units so the bead holes are in line with the weave rather than diagonal - simply because many beads are patterned, or designed to lie straight - or are not perfectly round (I don't use a lot of absolutely round beads!).

Alternatively, wrap the loops on either a set of stepped pliers or straight onto a mandrel and then shape them perfectly into place on your round-nosed. I believe David Scott Plumlee has recently launched some mandrel tipped pliers designed specifically to work with his byzantine and box chain designs.
    Its either getting late or i am getting thicker but thats gone straight over my head so i will have to re-read it in the morning lol.
    Last edited by bustagasket; 11-11-2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Thanks George, that helps a lot. I've been wrapping up the pliers, but I suspect I've moved above the line that I'd filed into the pliers - that would definitely make a larger loop.

The ID I've been using is 3.25 - which is why my stepped pliers don't fit the ID needed.

I'll try using a 3.5 ID, it'll give me a slightly looser weave which might not be a bad thing as it'll give me more room to work with. I'm sure I'll find something to do with the rest of my last order of rings with with 3.25 ID.

I did try to tilt the loop so they sat in the middle of the beads but I was afraid to scratch the beads. More practice on that needed.

P.S. I did try sawing my own rings tonight in silver plated wire for practice - definitely need more practice on that too. And I'm sure my fingers will forgive me when they stop bleeding.
    Last edited by snow_imp; 11-11-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Anne