Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner Advice Please :-)

Quote Originally Posted by snow_imp View Post
    Hi, where are you in relation to Peterborough? I'm booked on a course with Nic (MuranoSilver) in Jan to do some clay work (unless I'm completely confused of course) and she has other courses planned for during the year.
    Bridget and I are also going along to Nic's course in January and I am soo looking forward to learning a new technique, especially following Su's rave reviews on Nic's tutoring skills and after seeing the pictures of the work that her students have created after only one day in her studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Tigerlily,

I am also learning a lot about silverwork ATM and use copper as my 'playing' medium. It has a similar feel to silver, though is softer to work with. You might want to have a go with that, its much cheaper than real silver !

good luck with the course.

xx
    Thanks Jules, thats a really good idea xx

Quote Originally Posted by shelliem View Post
    I also 'play' with copper at the moment. I did use some PMC having done pottery in the past but I found that I needed more tools and practise than maybe I would need to actually make something using wire or learning to saw, so I have decided to start making chains, learning to cut and solder and playing with wire.

I think I'm going to learn PMC a bit later on, however, if I could afford a course at the moment and there was a good one around that would probably change my mind!
    Thanks for that Michelle, probably best to learn the basics first, and then move onto PMC? Its just that hubby offered to buy me a course as an xmas present, so thought I would take him up on it lol!!! Methinks I will ask him for a basic tool kit instead, probably best eh!!

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Hi tigerlilly,

Definitely go with what Babs suggests, mess around with a bit of silver sheet, cheap, affordable and fun, I started like that nearly 6 months ago and have never looked back.

Prepare to be perpetually broke and lusting tools though, it's an illness.
    lol JJ!! Great advice thanks Oh dear think I may well have come down with the illness already

Sheet metal, pmc lol just wait till you find the lampwork thread aswell x

Oh no Jo, best hide that one from me too!!!

Working pmc uses completely different techniques to working sheet metal. I'd say go for the pmc course with Nic 'cos that sounds great but also look out for a local jeweller who offers day courses in silver. All my students say that they learn more in a day with me than they do in a whole term at college. That's because my classes are small and they get much more attention. They usually go away with 2 or 3 items that they've made. Also at college you often only get to use copper and base metals until you make your final piece.

Thanks Carole ... mmm decisions, decisions!! oh now I am confused lol!