Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Free gifts as a marketing aid?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Boo who has been slagging off your work?
    I really don't think anyone has.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a discussion in another thread and some people used a different method to Boo. It didn't sound to me in the least bit like a criticism - it's just that we're all so different.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Boo who has been slagging off your work?
    I have seen a handful of less than tactful comments over the past week or so....
    J x

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I have seen a handful of less than tactful comments over the past week or so....
    sorry - just to confirm - I'm not referring to Lindyloo
    J x

Thank you for your comments Jason. I really appreciate it. I really did not intend to upset Boo at all.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    sorry - just to confirm - I'm not referring to Lindyloo
    J x
    Oh, flippin' eck! Is it me and I've not even realised?

I realise this is a good week or two old now (and I haven't posted in ages, so I am catching up with a lot of posts), but I do think that an extra suprise freebie can be great. Like others here, I get sent all sorts of crap from certain companies - printers etc, who send me cheap business gifts that I wouldn't dare to even consider giving to someone unless I wanted to insult them.

However, I do believe there is a place for good quality free piece of smaller jewellery that the person was not expecting - I would perhaps consider not advertising the fact that I was going to give the buyer a freebie, but retain the customer once they have purchased - if they do not expect the free earrings, then they will be a really nice suprise - make a note of those customers who you did this with and see how much repeat business you get from them in the future. It'll probably also generate you some word of mouth advertising which I believe is better than anything paid for in print/screen etc. Oh and make sure they know it's free - perhaps adapt your note to say thank you for buying from you, and here's a little something extra for them to enjoy. You don't want people getting in touch thinking you got their order wrong!

Just to finish, (and I know this has been said elsewhere), I think the general problem with freebies, is that people then have an expectation, but also there is a perception is it really worth buying in order to get the free product worth £x? Like when Cookson's do their freepost deals - I personally don't get excited about them in the slightest, because it only saves me a couple of pounds, and I'm not going to add £20 to my order simply to qualify in order to save £2.
    Last edited by pauljoels; 24-11-2009 at 03:49 PM.