Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumnal Leaf

I know - I had to cut the whole handle off to make a ring - as it was a teaspoon, I need all of the handle as the rings are quite small. I've only got tiny tube and reluctant o spend more money at CG as I've spent so much over the past few months. So maybe I use some of my 0.3mm sheet and make a small tube from that to fit.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

That is so beautiful - really tactile - love the texture mmmmm.....
    J x

I thought I'd already replied, but seemingly not. It looks lovely - the photo on your blog on your hand showing the indentations in the sides looks especially nice - it's going to have a lovely shape when finished.

I often put bails on polymer clay pendants by making a U shape of heavy wire and I drill a pair of wee holes in the clay (positioned vertically) part way through the thickness *** and glue the wire into the holes - you could do something similar with silver and solder it on, so it would be invisible from the front. That would give you a D shaped bail behind the leaf.

*** The Archimedes drill we were talking about recently is ideal for this as I can measure just how many turns/pumps of the drill to get the depth of hole I want, to ensure the drill doesn't pop out on the right side. You have enough control when it's that slow.

that sounds like a great idea - I've got some 2mm wire and that thickness is actually perfect for the top of the pendant - excellent will try that out later once I've finished a load of design work I'm doing for a particularly picky client [groan]
    Website | Instagram

Boo that is what I have done on the back of 2 of my flower pendants (in the 'items sent for hallmarking' pictures). In class we were taught to make our 'D' from a jumpring sawn in half (make sure it's big enough when cut in half). The blade needs to cut through both sides of the jump ring at the same time so that both cuts are level for soldering on to a level surface - but just realised the back of Evie's spoon bowls will be curved so that doesn't really apply (good tip for others though). We also were taught to do the drill holes a tiny part the way through the metal; fill the holes each with a piece of melted solder, then 'dap' the 'D' loop down on to the melted solder and hold it there after taking the flame away. The ends of the 'D' sit in the holes neatly (make sure the hole is big enough to take the gauge of wire you are using) and help make sure you get it in the right place as it can slide in the solder otherwise.

not sure I'd feel confident doing the drilling on this piece as it's curved. Not got time to do this tonight either as I've spent most of the evening in the bathroom with the dog - the loud fan stops her hearing the bangs of the fireworks going off outside which she's terrified of. Not looking forward to walkies later as if she hears abang she bolts off and cowers and hides and becomes impossible to find or recall.
    Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ominicci View Post
    In class we were taught to make our 'D' from a jumpring sawn in half (make sure it's big enough when cut in half). The blade needs to cut through both sides of the jump ring at the same time so that both cuts are level for soldering on to a level surface
    I must admit, I don't think I'd do it that way - if you cut a ring, the bail silver would be curved along it's entire form and not as likely to make a reliable join. Seems like making an easy job harder. Why cut a ring when you can work with a straight length.

I'd prefer to just form a straight sided U around an appropriately sized bit of some pliers or mandrel with 2 straight arms so that if they do go into a drilled hole they make a good straight bond - otherwise you have curved metal into a straight hole, which isn't as likely to make a good solder join.

When I do it with clay, I make a pencil smudge on each of the ends of the U and rub it onto the clay to make marks to drill.

If the spoon/leaf is curved, it might need arms of different length to project perpendicular to the back.
    Last edited by Boo; 05-11-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Typo

That is just beautiful, I absolutely love it!
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post

*** The Archimedes drill we were talking about recently is ideal for this as I can measure just how many turns/pumps of the drill to get the depth of hole I want, to ensure the drill doesn't pop out on the right side. You have enough control when it's that slow.

Hahahahahaha! I broke mine! it's now lying in various places around my room

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Hahahahahaha! I broke mine! it's now lying in various places around my room
    have you been sleeping with the tools again?
    J x