Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Items Sent for Hallmarking!

you've been busy Nicci - lovely work and I love the rings - look forward to seeing them with their settings
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

what lovely stuff!
    J x

Thanks everyone

George, I have completely left everything up to them (Edinburgh) this first time to see what happens. On the maille bracelets I have put a soldered 5mm jumpring (1mm wire) as the clasp ring and as I have the minutest hallmark you could get (0.5mm high - as that's what they insisted on), technically the hallmark should go on that one as all the other rings are unsoldered. I'm still not sold on the idea of having maille items hallmarked as I could quite easily take them apart when I get them back. I explained that to the assessor on the phone but of course they want the business so he wasn't going to agree with me and said if they were over the 7.78gm weight limit then they should be done... I will eventually have a laser hallmark too as I want to do large hollow beads. But the blurb says they will automatically make the decision if they think something needs to be lasered and then you pay the one off charge of £20 for the laser image file to be created. A separate Hallnote needs to be raised for laser so there needs to be enough items in a batch to make it worth while, but there is always the chance if you send something they think should be lasered in with a batch to be 'punched' they will make the decision and will raise another laser hallnote on your behalf and you just have to pay, even if its for only one item

Crikey you have made loooads of beautiful things, I would be so excited waiting for them to come back so I could see that lovely little mark on it !!

With a big magnifying glass as I understand it lol!

Im now getting my first lot sorted to send of to london assay too, real spooky but i've got a flower pendant using the same template as you i think!!! i made it back in march with matching earrings!!
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ominicci View Post
    On the maille bracelets I have put a soldered 5mm jumpring (1mm wire) as the clasp ring and as I have the minutest hallmark you could get (0.5mm high - as that's what they insisted on),
    I've just got my paperwork to say my 0.5 mm punch is ready at the Edinburgh assay office - now to get together some work to send for hallmarking.

Like you I was told that only the 0.5 mm size punch was suitable for chain maille - but I'm still thinking of using a tag as has been discussed elsewhere in the forum and buying a larger punch to use on it so the hallmark is more visible. In the mean time I also have a larger diameter ring near the catch that I'm assuming they'll use for the mark.

But like you I'm not sure how things work with unsoldered chain maille items and the "adjustability" you have there.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
    Im now getting my first lot sorted to send of to london assay too, real spooky but i've got a flower pendant using the same template as you i think!!! i made it back in march with matching earrings!!
    Bridget - Yes I think it was in one of the Bead magazines, although I added some more bits to the design. Do you mean the one on the top right here? I made it for my daughter's 17th birthday in August 08 so it will go back to her. But the other 2 will be for sale and I made them up from styles I have seen elsewhere - the one on the bottom is similar to 'cherry blossom' type designs and the one at the top is from hibiscus type designs that I see in Campervan magazines (we have a few of those lying around!) but without the stamen part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Assay 013.jpg  

yes the one top right, i think i just googled images for flower patterns and that was one of them, i added a minature flower copper centre and a couple of silver balls in the centre, but the rest stayed plain gave the whole thing a slight doming, it's such a simple but adaptable shape i love things like that!!
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Oooh doming it sounds a good idea! I don't think I had my doming blocks when I made that one originally.