Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not an Official Workshop but...

Default Not an Official Workshop but...

Jules (Petal) and I spent a very happy, informative and confidence building day yesterday with (triumphant trumpets smilie here)... George.

We learned a lot and, as both of us have different styles of learning, it could have been awkward. Not a bit of it, we were both 'accommodated' - me watching and Jules doing, cos that's what each of us needed.

The value for me was not only in learning things I wanted to be able to do but in the reassurance that I'm correctly doing the things I taught myself.

And George can cook too!

I'll let Jules tell you her version but I know she was every bit as blown away as I was.
    Di x

Glad you both had a wonderful time, i think this sort of meet up is invaluable
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

To put faces to the names is brilliant, as is realising that many of us have the same apprehensions and we are all striving for the same thing - well finished, beautiful pieces of jewellery that people will want to buy!
    Di x

That sounds fabulous. Sounds like you had a very worthwhile and enjoyable day.

I've said many times that I'd love to just spend time with someone much more experienced than me to check I'm not doing things woefully wrongly, as I'm entirely self taught - and a lot of my techniques are derived from trial and error and just doing to see what works.

I'm so envious of you.

But I have just paid for my course with Nic so that'll keep me going for a little while.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Di's right. The whole day was brilliant and to learn from The Queen of Maille along with meeting and spending time with Di was simply the best. A bit of a busy busy morning, but will tell you more when I get back - off out for half an hour....

xx
    Jules

Oh, that sounds lovely!

Sounds fantastic - I'm sooooo jealous!

Smile I didn't want the day to end... it was heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    To put faces to the names is brilliant, as is realising that many of us have the same apprehensions and we are all striving for the same thing - well finished, beautiful pieces of jewellery that people will want to buy!
    I agree with Di. That's what jewellery making it is all about. Learning new skills in the correct way, or finding better ways to do something you have done many times before by someone who is the best and in an easily understandable manner is SO refreshing. As a total novice to working with silver, I was a little apprehensive beforehand, as I am not techically minded by any stretch of the immagination and wondered whether I would be able to deal with blow torches and all the things that working with silver involved. With George's patient instruction, the whole process was made so easy and relaxed and we had lots of laughs too. I don't think you ever stop learning, but there are good and bad teachers out there and Di and I were lucky enough to be taught by the immensley talented George. We were very fortunate indeed.

I would say if any of you are about to embark on a course, that you read as much as you can beforehand, it will help you understand the processes involved and prepare you for your course. I had read books in the last couple of weeks, plus many posts on tools and processes I haven't had experience of before and it was all very useful.

There was lots of laughter, tears too and it was a wonderful wonderful day that I shall never forget. Oh and that lunch George, that was absolutely FAB

BTW, if you ever need a cat sitter, count us in - we loved your cat to bits!

Jules

Smile Di was an absolute sweetie

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Jules (Petal) and I spent a very happy, informative and confidence building day yesterday with (triumphant trumpets smilie here)... George.

We learned a lot and, as both of us have different styles of learning, it could have been awkward. Not a bit of it, we were both 'accommodated' - me watching and Jules doing, cos that's what each of us needed.

The value for me was not only in learning things I wanted to be able to do but in the reassurance that I'm correctly doing the things I taught myself.

And George can cook too!

I'll let Jules tell you her version but I know she was every bit as blown away as I was.
    What can I say, words fail me.

Di's an absolute gem and a very special person. She is even more fun and chirpy in the flesh than on the forum and we laughed and cried over so many things that, as I mentioned before about our workshop, I just didn't want the day to end. It was a very special day and one I shall never forget.

xx
    Jules