Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your Pumpkins!

Default Show me your Pumpkins!

Haven't had a Pumpkin for years but did this one with my OH today:

Very good! I bet your fingers really ache now! I remember doing some for the kids in years past and beihg stunned at how hard pumpkins are!! Mine were nothing compared to yours! They were lucky to get 3 holes and a split with most of the insides still inside!!!

This dropped into my inbox this morning...10 Stunning Pumpkin Carvings ...good for a laugh!!

Well done Vivia with carving the pumpkin, they really are very hard work on the hands! I love the piccies of the carvings Bee. We used to live not far from the Slindon 'squash & pumpkin man' and used to regularly do our autumn walks past his place with thousands of the things. He did do a beautiful display and his son is carrying on the tradition, I think.

The pumpkin king's crowning glory - Telegraph

Funnily enough we are having pumpkin soup tonight - it is absolutely delicious with a hint of ginger and sherry ! oh yes, and maybe some garlic bread (naughty, but nice). We grew 4 this year and the heaviest one was 12lb. -There's not many soups left in the freezer now though....

xx
    Jules

In my day it was turnips and not pumpkins.
    I love the smell when the candle is burning inside.

That soup sounds deliciouso, Jules. Do you grow any other veg?

We grow loads and loads of the things... it certainly keeps me & my OH fit tending the garden. This year its been: leeks, chard, garlic, sweetcorn (a disaster, they were like rubber), shallots, brussel sprouts, pots, apples, cherries, pears, carrots, peas, french beans, pumpkins, strawberries, razzers, gooseberries, tomatoes, green chilly peppers, melons, cucumbers - oh and fennel. Bloody hell, having typed all that lot, that's a lot of veggies, isn't it!

It just seems to happen automatically, we have grown our own veg for quite a few years, but this year we have been pretty much self-sufficient. Our first crop of new potatoes tasted even more delicious as we waited for our own, covered in butter - bliss! .. sorry I'm a bit hungry, can you tell

xx
    Last edited by Petal; 31-10-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling mistake !
    Jules

Wow!

I should grow my own veg (being a non meat eater) but the trouble is, I hate gardening. You have to do it regularly and remember to water things.

With most things, you just water very well once you put them in and they're off. Its the weeding that will hinder most veg, as they don't like a lot of weeds around their roots. You really should give it a go, they taste wonderful and as they don't get sprayed they are much better for you.

xx
    oops off for dinner now...
    Jules

well here are the kids pumpkins and my soup lol, the things i take photos of! xx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0137.jpg   IMG_0136.jpg   IMG_0145.jpg  

Barbara my hands are feeling a little on the achey side- but nothing a dose of chocolate (or wine, whichever comes to hand first) won't cure!

Emerald, the pumpkins and soup look lovely- obviously a creative family I wasn't sure when doing ours today which bit you have to put into the soup- I know it sound silly but most of the seeds were sort of inter-mingled with the flesh, so I wouldn't know how to get much out of it...

This is clearly why I' not a domestic goddess....

You just remove the outer skin, save the seeds to roast with salt (they are delicious, or you could save them and grow pumpkins)... and just use the rest in a soup... minus the candle wax, of course That soup looks lovely and the pumpkins look really cute

xx
    Jules