Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the most common ring sizes?

Question What are the most common ring sizes?

I've just been making my first attempts at pmc rings - using my own handmade fine silver ring liners. It has all worked out surprisingly well! I am wearing 2 as I type this - one 'retro' geometric and one girlie flowery - and I have another two drying off prior to firing. I was just wondering what sizes of ring are most common in the big wide world so that I could make a few examples in sizes that might fit somebody!! I have the hands of a blacksmith and so wear an R on my 'thin' days and an S the rest of the time!! But I'm sure I'm not normal....in oh so many ways!!! So, what size are you?? And if you make rings what has been the most common size in your experience?

My wedding ring finger is a K.

I sell mostly small to medium sizes - from about H to O.

...what is normal anyway...

The most common sizes I sell are L,M,N,O&P
    with N/O being the best sellers by far.

Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Red face Fat fingers here....!!

Thanks Nic and Alexandra, WHAT!! H???? Who ever has an H?? I've just tried my ring sizer and I can't even get it over my little finger knuckle!! It's really interesting though - it means I will use less silver per ring!!. I hope a few more people will join in this thread....2 statistics does not a thesis make!!...I could do with a bit more info before I decide just how freaky my hands really are!! I guess I'll have to find a 'hand model' to photograph these rings I'm making then!! Ha ha ha ha

The really small sizes are my small adjustable tiara rings. THey adjust from about H - K, so it could be that most people wear them on the larger side of small.
    Also my tiara rings are quite dainty - they look best on dainty hands! I've not sold nearly as many large ones P - S.

Smile What's the verdict on my new rings - size R!!

Sorry to go a bit off thread but I have done 15 posts now so think I am entitled to add stuff. (If I can work out how to do it!!) I have just got these 2 rings on the left - the knuckle duster-ette and the lunar craters - out of the kiln and given them a quick brush...I am so pleased with how they are shaping up!!...yes I know you can see a bit of a ding in the one on the left...I obviously rushed the filing of the naf fusing join...but they are only experiments - made to fit my FAT fingers!!...and I am just so happy!! The other 2 - the tiny flowers and the 'retro' - have been in the tumbler for a couple of hours but I couldn't wait to get them on after I made them and I have worn them since Sunday morning so they are not really shiny enough yet. I will wear them 24/7 for a couple of weeks to test the durability of the product and then I will make some (rather neater ones in sizes N and O!! - thanks Nic!) for my website...what do you think??
    Barbara

I think they look lovely, how much will you charge do you think...?

Question Hmmm - you've got me there....!!

Thanks Alexandra! Hmmmmmm.....the age old question isn't it? I was thinking in the region of £35-£45 but I've not really done any research yet. (This is my very new project and I didn't expect them to work out so well at first attempt!!) But that would certainly cover my overheads, materials and give me a good hourly rate...but how far can I go??? In the local area I think I would be pushing my luck to go over £35 so I would have to figure a discount deal for my parties (thanks for the idea Nic!)...as for the website....well, what do you think???

Hmmm, I think somewhere in the region of £35 - £40 is a fair price for them. I was secretly hoping you would say £5 so i could afford one
    How long did they take you? I've not used PMC before so I have no idea how easy/difficult/time consuming it is.

Thumbs up That's why I choose to work with fine silver...

HA! That would be one hell of a discount, Alexandra ....Sorry!!...and that is just the sort of comment I get from people round here too!!
    Well, it took me about 20 minutes to cut, shape and fuse 4 ring liners from a strip of fine silver metal....plus a bit of inefficient filing!!!...should have added another couple of minutes to that but I was just soooo keen to get started!! I then worked on 2 rings in tandem - working on one while the other was drying enough to go back to work on. I am still very much a novice with pmc as I got distracted with fusing siver chains about 18 months ago!! so I am rather 'fingers and thumbs' at the moment but it took about an hour to have them both done and drying ready to fire. That's what I love about fine silver work - and pmc - it is all so clean and quick!! I don't have horrible firescale to pickle off and I don't have to wait between opperations before I can move on...I love it...love it...LOVE IT!!!!!
    By the way - add me to the ranks that are pressurising you to get your ears done!! It is a drag for the first few weeks but then you have a lifetime of wearing beautiful things to look forward to!
    Barbara