Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with 'S' link please

or the other way is to just add a bead that can be slid up and down the length, but having an inside diameter small enough not to slide on its own

Barbara: ohhh, cunning!

Jules: The part I'm not getting is how it'll be adjustable. I mean, I guess if it wasn't doubled all the way back up to the top like George's one, you could change how high it stopped being doubled, if that makes sense, but how would you secure it?

Thanks for the drawing Bee. Sorry I've been a while, my neighbour popped in

This is what I was trying to achieve, but with an S link.

http://www.pixiewillowdesigns.com/page14.htm

I think your idea will work, but I don't (yet) have the skill to produce coils smooth enough so they don't catch on the fibres I've made the necklace with. What Emerald has suggested might do the trick with my limited skills - I'll have a go at practicing the link and see how that goes. Thanks guys for all your responses. Apologies for the poor explanation of what I'm trying to achieve

Heather - Id secure it by having a knot at the very end of each end (I think)??? oh dear - I think I'll put this design to a 'bad' one!
    Last edited by Petal; 29-10-2009 at 02:54 PM.
    Jules

Ah! I did it by having a bead with a very large hole but it wasn't on a knitted necklace, which will be rather thick.

The only other way I know of is to use a moveable knot thingie but I'm not sure that would work on a knitted surface.
    Di x

I've just had a 'chuck it in the bin' moment.

and don't even think of wasting your valuable time on helping me on this one. I'll carry on with bead stringing and wire work until I know how to do the basics of silverwork - once I've been on a course

Sorry guys
    Jules

Hi Jules
    I'm coming to this thread rather late - soz - and I have to tell you that I'm not completely au fait with what you're trying to do, but I have made several observations.
    - the 2 clasps that you made in copper - the bottom one doesn't look crap. It doesn't look as stylish as the top one, but it is wrapped in the middle (hence safe) and from what you said I'm assuming that it works??? Maybe it just needs a bit of 'prettying' to meet your approval?
    - the top one which catches on the chain - maybe the basic design will work but just needs bigger loops?
    - the chain itself is quite bulky. I noticed on the second photo that you posted of it, that the left side is significantly thicker than the right (I'm assuming that this is where it is doubled up). Will making it adjustable spoil the aesthetics of the necklace?
    - It is one beautiful piece of work. I can't begin to imagine how you made it and I can't believe that you're beating yourself up over some teeny glitch at the end.
    Take a step back and look at the exquisite necklace that you've just made
    J x

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Hi Jules
    I'm coming to this thread rather late - soz - and I have to tell you that I'm not completely au fait with what you're trying to do, but I have made several observations.
    - the 2 clasps that you made in copper - the bottom one doesn't look crap. It doesn't look as stylish as the top one, but it is wrapped in the middle (hence safe) and from what you said I'm assuming that it works??? Maybe it just needs a bit of 'prettying' to meet your approval?
    - the top one which catches on the chain - maybe the basic design will work but just needs bigger loops?
    - the chain itself is quite bulky. I noticed on the second photo that you posted of it, that the left side is significantly thicker than the right (I'm assuming that this is where it is doubled up). Will making it adjustable spoil the aesthetics of the necklace?
    - It is one beautiful piece of work. I can't begin to imagine how you made it and I can't believe that you're beating yourself up over some teeny glitch at the end.
    Take a step back and look at the exquisite necklace that you've just made
    J x
    Ah thanks for the compliments Jayne. Yes, I'm definitely having a 'beating myself up' day. I get so frustrated sometimes when a new thing doesn't go right, but its only because I'm learning a totally different technique and I think its probably like most things in life, you're constantly learning!

Yes, you're right about the two clasps, the bottom one works much better than the top one and doesn't catch on the necklace part. The necklace part is bulky on the left, because its actually beadalon wire with a beadstopper on the end to stop the whole thing falling apart and I've squished the necklace part around it to show how I wanted it to look. The cord that I knit into a necklace actually looks like this and I spent the last few evenings knitting it by the fire. I make scarves too and they are popular, so I thought I'd have a go at a 'necklace' made with the same stuff.... not to easy though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1526.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	518

I think you're right about not making it adjustable, perhaps I'll leave it to just be tied.

Thanks again Jayne.

xx
    Jules

Sorry in advance I know I'm COMPLETELY off topic but your thread title sounds really too much like one I could read on a RPGvideo game forum ("S-link" stands for social link in Atlus' PERSONA games, excellent by the way!)

Anyway, our advice for an S-link would be to try and max them all up before the fall on the 31st Januaru 2010!! (cf Persona 3), ehhe!^_^

Mochi and Mocha, alias geek and geekette!
    PS: Make sure you always equip a persona of the same arcana, it really helps!

"Que?"
    (In my best Manuel voice)

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    "Que?"
    (In my best Manuel voice)
    Like you Bee, I haven't a clue what these two are on about either??
    Jules