Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pickled to death

hi
    if yr getting green flames when you reheat you may still have pickle solution on the metal (even if it is dry) it is always a good idea to rinse / ultrasonic something that has been in pickle or acid especially hollow stuff, even leaving it in the soda for a long time may not help as warm pickle gets in everywhere. I have often soldered something hollow thats been in acid and the whole thing explodes and covers me in acid. fun fun fun great for the nerves and eyesight.

The chain wasn't hollow and it had been tumbled in soap all night, so I don't think there was any pickle left on it. I think it must have been the copper oxide burning off, though I've never noticed those bright green flames when soldering copper.

I get that flash of bright green when I'm melting copper, that's how I know I'm in the right part of the flame for it to melt.

I've been doing some commissions and probably melted about 300 'copper raindrops' this week.

What does a copper raindrop look like?
    Linda

It's a design I sell quite a lot of - I've made 4 necklaces with various matching earrings this week - I'll just post a link to one of the photos - hopefully this will work, rather than embedding it:

http://www.etsy.com/get_convo_image....mage_type=full

This is an interesting little article that I have just picked up from the Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist Flashcard October 27 2009 which might answer some intriguing questions...

[A consultation with my good friend (and Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist November cover artist) Lexi Erickson revealed that she had done some independent research on the topic, because her classroom pickle was causing random acts of copper plating for no apparent reason. As we do a lot in this craft, she consulted with her mentors and found that an old pickle pot will eventually precipitate iron into the solution because the ceramic glaze used to make a crock pot has a high iron content. If you notice a lot of copper plating on your pieces, and you haven’t accidently dropped steel in your pickle pot, you might want to replace your ceramic liner if it’s old. Small cracks, pits, or crazing in the glaze will allow the iron to leach out into the pickle, and that will cause copper plating where you may not want it.]

I think it is a worthwhile 'newsletter' to sign up to.... If you are interested there is a sign up link on the Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist Magazine website....right hand column... Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist Magazine - Jewelry Making, Jewelry Arts, Gems, Beads, Minerals and More!

Hmmm, that link didn't work for me...

Which one - Boo's or mine?? I got a sad smilie with Boo's ...not sure that was what was meant!

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    Which one - Boo's or mine?? I got a sad smilie with Boo's ...not sure that was what was meant!
    Oops sorry! Yes I meant Boo's - just got a sad face.

Sorry ladies - I did wonder if it would show, as it was a photo I uploaded in a private convo on Etsy - it obviously showed okay for me as I was logged in, but mustn't work for others.

I stuck a couple of quick photos on Flickr instead: necklace9557f on Flickr - Photo Sharing! and the next one shows the matching earrings.