Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, I'm being brave - here's the website!

Thank you very much for all your nice comments

I certainly need to look at the whole pricing thing. I always struggle with how to balance what I can charge online to what I can charge at fairs. At the moment I do quite alot of small fairs which can do very well - but if I were to have much higher priced items I'm not sure if they would sell. But then maybe I need to review what fairs I'm doing.......

I have tried the google adwords scheme without much success. Have any of you ever paid for advertising in magazines etc ?? Would think they are expensive and wonder if they actually work....

Jane x

Have any of you ever paid for advertising in magazines etc
    Highly over-rated in my opinion - I've advertised in jewellery trade magazines taking out full pages sometimes and with different styles of messages from the sublime to the ridiculous, with special offers, calls to action you name it - all had the same result - Bu**er all! - Save your money and go on holiday!

Tried magazine and local paper advertising for other things (tarot reading actually) - useless, useless, useless. Save your money.

A good formula for pricing - costs of materials doubled (or trebled) + cost of overheads + an hourly rate for your work. Its scary to start off with because it all seems too much for something you've made - but you have to consider what you could earn for your time if you wasn't sitting making jewellery!
    Di x

I'd agree about maybe adding a tiny bit of colour to the design - the catseye aqua colour is lovely and grabs the eye from the photographs, maybe try having the current highlighted section in the menu be that colour instead? Just a little touch here and there will do it.

Aha, looking further, I see that further in you use a teal green for visited links in the body of the page. A little bit of that visible on the home page would be great.

I haven't looked at the site in question, but this comment jumped out at me:

I certainly need to look at the whole pricing thing. I always struggle with how to balance what I can charge online to what I can charge at fairs.
    I'm just writing a blog on why I include P&P in my web site prices - the short answer of which is that all selling venues have inherent costs, selling from your kitchen table might include refreshments and more of your time - fairs have table fees, travel and display materials, on-line you have PayPal/bank fees, post and packing. So I set my price for an item to include these costs, put a price ticket on it and it sell it at the same price in all venues.

It will cost me an amount per item just to sell it (averaging various costs over a year, I just apply a flat amount to everything), regardless of where I actually sell it. So the price is the price.

The difference between fairs and on-line is that you're more likely to sell lower cost items at fairs - so I have a lot of stock that goes to fairs with me, that I wouldn't bother photographing and putting on my site - I sell a lot of earrings around the £10 ticket in fairs.

Nice looking site you have there - but I agree with the comments others have made about pricing and p&p - mind you, I'm not one to talk on that front as I still have a fit when I actually follow the "double materials" + other costs ideas just 'cos everything I've done recently seems to involve lots of sterling silver jump rings!
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Lovely work.
    Agree your prices too cheap.
    On home page don't like the torn edges of images, on images that size feel it detracts too much from your lovely work. would also prefer, when looking at an individual product not to have to click again to get larger image if at all possible. looks like there is enough room for a larger image on the page.
    hth
    Em

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Not that I am being greedy or anything but handcrafted is handcrafted and takes time, we aren't machines.
    Totally agree with you on that one. Conveyor belts we are not.

As for the website:- I quite like it.. very different from mine. I am not a computer guru at all...infact hate the damn things...now they are machines.!
    I've also created my website as more of an information portal as to what I do... which in all honesty is mainly teach, run workshops and when i have time ,, keep up with my commissions.