Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing and finishing

Default Firing and finishing

Hi All

I'm a total beginner - although have done pottery previously and in some cases using PMC is very similar.

I've got a few questions...

I fired a piece (my first ever one) and according to the instructions in my book it said to move the flame rather than keep it still (which I did) however I managed to get some bubbles in the middle of the the piece (which I'm assuming is because I allowed the middle to get too hot?) and am wondering whether maybe I could have had the torch too close? or was moving it too quickly? or both (I am quite impatient usually :S) I also wondered if you have any tips for firing using a torch. On this piece I laid it out on the firing block (it was just a flat heart shape) should I have used the tweezers to hold it when firing instead of keeping it flat?

Also I attempted texturing which came out reasonably well although not consistent all over the piece. I rolled out the thickness first and then put the piece on the texture plate (as per my book) but I was worried incase I rolled it out too thinly and think I may have used too much balm (which I am guessing after reading some of the posts on this section). Do you have any suggestions on how to improve texturing.

And finally (for now probably) I'm wondering where is the best place to get letter stamps for Pmc???

All help and advice gratefully recieved!!

Oh

Sorry I do have another question...

I've a small amount of pmc left and have decided to use it for practicing finishing and firing etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should go about this?

Thanks again.

Bubbles could be because the piece was too hot, you want a dull orange glow. However it is mostly likely there was still moisture in the piece, the water boils, creates steam and escapes causing a bubble. How long had it dried for? Texture, use a tiny amount of balm. Roll out a plain piece of clay at one thickness and then roll it out on the texture using the next thickness of slats or cards down. (unless the texture is deep you might want to use slats/ card two sizes thinner)
    Your spare clay, why not make a series of pieces using a cookie cutter with different textures and finishes
    hope that helps
    Em

Thanks Emma

I had left it for about two days before firing it.

hhmm ok that is not the problem then. Leaves melting or contamination of clay....try some simple little flat pieces for practice and see how you get on....the key is dull orange glow, don't get torch too near. moving it shouldn't be a problem.
    Em

It might be that I got the torch too close. Contamination has to be out because it was a new pack of pmc with brand new tools etc.

I think I was a bit scared of ruining my dining table at the time so got the torch too close :S

I will try it with it further away next time - lets hope I dont get blisters on the table though!

Thanks for your help

Shellie - Firing on your dining table doesn't sound too good!!! You would be better off doing it in the kitchen on the worksurface. Have you got an asbestos type mat to go under the firing block? I used an old wooden chopping board until I got one. Try heating in a slightly darkened room then you can see the dull orange glow better.

Hi Ominicci

Hmmm I know, when I think about it now - it doesn't sound too good does it!

I've a friend who has everything and anything I'm sure I'd be able to find something from her to use underneath it, i'm sure I could persuade her to trade me with a piece of my dodgy jewellery when I can actually make something that is close to resembling some!

Thanks for the tip.

One other thing you might want to think about is where you dry your pieces. My house is centrally heated by radiator and during the summer months I can quite happily leave my clay pieces to dry out in my workroom (box bedroom). However, at this time of year there is always a certain amount of condensation in the room over night and this does mean that some of my pieces don't dry out as well as I think. As a precaution I usually put them in front of a fan for at leat 30mins to drive any latent moisture off before I fire them. Strange as it may seem I find my pieces dry better under a cool fan than in a warm oven.

I hope this helps with you 'learning process'. The clays are fun and you can do some really wierd but wonderfull pieces with them.
    Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

Thank you The Dragon

I wouldn't have even considered that - I left them on the window ledge in my kitchen by the sink

Its so frustrating, I've got so many idea's but I can't get them out because I need to actually learn how to to stuff first - grrrr.