have we met?
    do you ever go by the name of 'Wayne'?
    ('ello gorgeous)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    do you ever go by the name of 'Wayne'?
    ('ello gorgeous)
    now if you had said waynetta?

look what you made me go and do poor Bens post x

My two peneth worth from a web designer point of view [as that's waht I do for a living]:

Frames a huge no-no - no good for seao and no good for people trying to bookmark your content either. For good SEO you need clear well structured pages written in valid semantic code and styled using CSS so that your layout and content are totally separate. You also need lots of well written content full of key words and phrases that relate to your page titles, your image alt tags, you links title tags and the content within your meta keywords and description. You should structire your page content correctly using H1, H2, H3 etc tags for headings.

You also need well structured navigation that is consistent from page to page so that search engines as well as humna users can navigate your site easily.

You are lacking in so many of the above.

But as you're not a web designer, I'm not criticising you as I'm always pretty impressed with folk who give the whole web thing a go, when they have little or no experience of building websites, I'm just advising you of good practice when it comes to getting noticed online. If you google my name 'Evie Milo' you'll see that I dominate the first 10 pages of the search results...
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

I meant to add that I didn't even notice that the website was more than one page until I read other people's comments on this thread. It was only then that I went back and rolled my mouse over all the text until it showed that a link was present - the fact that I had to hunt links down means that they're not very obvious as links or navigation.
    Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Milomade View Post
    My two peneth worth from a web designer point of view [as that's waht I do for a living]:

"You also need lots of well written content full of key words and phrases that relate to your page titles...."
    "you'll see that I dominate the first 10 pages of the search results... "
    I'd have to disagree here. Dont forget, many people just want what i want with this site. That is, for you to say to a customer, 'you can view the rest of my stuff on my website' and then it appear if you 'search' for the domain name, as many people dont know how to enter in the address bar, they just use google..
    My site shows up once, top of google, for the actual domain...job done, and thats with 'frames' too, so no prob there....because Im not trying to sell to the world, or, 'catch' people searching for certain words...I dont want to sacrifice content, by making it inhuman in its wording like "welcome to my jewellery website where i sell jewellery to jewellery buyers in my town"...its too pushy. a few web types seem to struggle with this concept!
    I want the pages to be interesting, not 'enginneered' to hook people in.

When you say you 'dominate' so many pages of google, is this fair? Because it is not if I am looking for a word similar to one you have deliberatly 'optimised' on your site... I'd have to troll through all the results pages your so proud of taking up, with one site, just to find what it is im looking for.
    Last edited by ben b; 28-10-2009 at 03:54 PM.

welcome back Ben!
    I agree with most of the comments...I didn't even know there were links from the front/home page, or where to click on the market stall
    Em
    x

Hi em....I gotta admit, the links are ermmmm 'discreet'....
    but hey it was fun doing it, an experiment in image mapping i think its called, with the stall pic links.
    i am studying css and hand coding, so i will work on a screen filling site, but just wanted to get something up quick. The feedback has been really useful

Im going to/and have already re done bits of it, and will change it all soon...so this thread wont make any sense soon lol....all the posts wont make sense as the pages will have changed.....

One of the main things i was after, though, was technical info, like how long the video took to load...as my connection is fast, which may make me over do pages, in terms of media...The video of the chain repair takes about 5 seconds to load for me, borderline on the waiting threshold? but if your reading the words, its easily loaded by then...so having a video on the home page doesnt seem odd to me, where it may to others....especially with slower connections
    Last edited by ben b; 28-10-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ben b View Post
    My site shows up once, top of google, for the actual domain...job done
    What if people don't know your domain name?

and thats with 'frames' too, so no prob there.
    Building a site with frames is the worst way of building websites. I won't lecture on about that as I could bore you to death with the technicalities.

because Im not trying to sell to the world, or, 'catch' people searching for certain words...I dont want to sacrifice content, by making it inhuman in its wording like "welcome to my jewellery website where i sell jewellery to jewellery buyers in my town"...its too pushy. a few web types seem to struggle with this concept!
    If you read through my Milomade website do you think it's too pushy? I've just written about what I do in a casual manner - in no way I'm I deliberately repeating the word jewellery or other keywords etc - if you'd read what I'd written correctly you would understand that by 'well written content' I was talking about your content tying in with your page titles, your title tags, your alt tags and even your file names at that. Everything needs to tie together nicely for good search engine presence.

I want the pages to be interesting, not 'enginneered' to hook people in.
    Same here - I'm after the same result and I think I do that quite well with the way that I build my websites. People pay thousands of pounds every month to appear at the top of google for certain keywords and phrases - that's what you're referring to - that's not what I do or what I was on about. I put in place the basics of good structure, good content, good code and that gets me the results I'm after.

When you say you 'dominate' so many pages of google, is this fair? Because it is not if I am looking for a word similar to one you have deliberatly 'optimised' on your site...
    You guys were discussing your search results when searching for your name - I just used my name as an example here of what happens when you do the basic SEO stuff - that's all I've done and if someone searches for my name rather than my domain names [milomade.co.uk or my-igloo.net] as they might not know my company names - they are boumd to find me within the first 10 pages of google. I was just stating a point about good seo basics - not bragging.

I'd have to troll through all the results pages your so proud of taking up, with one site, just to find what it is im looking for. (troll being a good word here).
    I am proud of those results - it shows that what I do for a living is successful.

I responded to your request for opinions about your websote with a few honest simple points on what is good practice with regards to SEO as I do know what I'm talking about - I do web design for a living. I wasn't expecting your negative barrage of responses - so above a list of mine - case shut - I won't bother to comment any more as I was just trying to help you, but instead of taking my constructive criticism and help on board you have chosen to throw it back in my face - not very nice!
    Website | Instagram

[QUOTE=Milomade;

I responded to your request for opinions about your websote with a few honest simple points on what is good practice with regards to SEO as I do know what I'm talking about - I do web design for a living. I wasn't expecting your negative barrage of responses - so above a list of mine - case shut - I won't bother to comment any more as I was just trying to help you, but instead of taking my constructive criticism and help on board you have chosen to throw it back in my face - not very nice![/QUOTE]

mmm i agree with you there Milo why ask if you dont like the response. Milomade is a great site and it suits her work very much and to have someone on the forum that is happy to give a response for something they do for living is great especially when a lot of us havent got a clue with what we are doing with our sites really.

I have to say, Evie's advice was very good, and she know's what she is talking about. There're a difference between confidence in your abilities and bragging! If you follow what she's advised you will have a well optimised site that is far more usable and findable, with nothing that would give people irrelevant results!
    Lucinda