Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you think to my website

Quote Originally Posted by ben b View Post
    (try googling your own username, and cooksons) and it appeared places above the site did!!!
    Okay, I tried this and found loads of people called 'Jayne Cookson'!
    (btw, my surname isn't Cookson, incase you're wondering)
    J x

i guess it depends on popularity of the word too, jayne is quite common, especially jayne cookson. But you can see how much is indexed if you try:
    'geti cookson forum' and on google the 3rd entry down gets this: geti cookson forum - Google Search=
    but if instead of clicking the entry, you click 'more results from cookson gold' you get this: site:cooksongold.com geti cookson forum - Google Search which lists most of his posts.
    so you can see how well indexed it is.

Okay, that's interesting.
    What I still don't get (sorry about this - you may have to speak slowly and use words of only one syllable) is why you were reluctant to post the link. Do you want to wait until the site is completely as you want it?
    J x

Jayne you are so common ha ha ha.......... I detest sites that have the Enter Site button,, but who am i to say with my mrsite ensemble !!!!!!!

going a bit off thread here!...but to answer Jayne, more fully:
    I once did a site for a mate, called (this is only an example) fredblogs.com. It was a takeaway, and its only purpose was for people in our town to type into google 'fredblogs.com' or 'fredblogs takaway' and his details appear.
    Because it wasnt a world wide web thing, with lots of links going in and out, like a link site getting money from refferals, we didnt want it to appear all over the place, on this and that post, out of context, just because we wanted someone to click on it to get paid a refferal.
    I manualy submited it to google, and in the meantime, asked for critique on a forum. Less than a day later, it appeared, top of google for that domain name search, but titled 'what do you think to my website'....and a link to some forum of me discussing if it was crap or not....NOT very proffessional?
    It took weeks for the domain to appear on google, and in the meantime I emailed google to have the cached entry deleted, so it didnt conflict with the site.
    This will vary, depending on how common the domain name is, of course. The more un common, the more likely ANY reference will get listed prominently, and from the best linked, or highest rated sources over the actual domain name.

Quote Originally Posted by amazingbabe View Post
    Jayne you are so common ha ha ha..........
    I only just noticed tee hee
    (probably 'cos I hear it so much, outside the back of the boozer, feelin around in the dark for me gold hoopy earring that fell out when I woz pullin down me lycra skirt wiv one 'and, fag in the ovver, wonderin' whether Wayne'll bring 'is girlfriend in tonight or if I can get off wiv 'im later.......yeah, that's mostly when I hear it.....)
    J x

Ahh....Ben, thanks for explaining that to me (bit slow nowadays......I'm over 40 you know?). That's really useful
    J x

Ben, that's a good point - it had never crossed my mind (perhaps it should have done )
    Di x

Default going off topic again!

I found out myself, the hard way....when I first made my site, i entered details with every free listing site, thinking it would get better 'propergated'...more links the better. These were sites like 'best of' this and that...or 'local' this and that..all sites who list you free and later try to sell you advanced listings. All of these know 'seo' and index well, so i found i shot myself in the foot...they all appearead above my own domains listing!
    Rather than help it, they pushed it further down the google page!!!
    If you want controll over your site's google position, and you dont need it to appear anywhere at any cost to integrity, keep it on the 'qt' and just submit it to google maually, with well chosen keywords and title.

Just a note, also though (in my so far gained web experience) anyone who's got a site, which is already top of google for a search on that exact company, or domain, will already be 'propergated' well and so listing it on this forum will not interrupt that, as the entry (and it will be there) will be several google pages deep, depending on popularity of the name. Im just over careful now!
    Last edited by ben b; 27-10-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I only just noticed tee hee
    (probably 'cos I hear it so much, outside the back of the boozer, feelin around in the dark for me gold hoopy earring that fell out when I woz pullin down me lycra skirt wiv one 'and, fag in the ovver, wonderin' whether Wayne'll bring 'is girlfriend in tonight or if I can get off wiv 'im later.......yeah, that's mostly when I hear it.....)
    J x
    have we met?