Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I'm not in love...but I am excited!!

I've just had a quick look at the price of sheet...it isn't much more expensive that sterling. What thickness sterling do you use for your beads?

i was using 0.8 but have decided this is to thick so going to go for 0.7

got to take kids out back in a bit x
    Last edited by Emerald; 31-10-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Well - a 6" by 1" piece of Argentium at 0.7 is just over £18... (sorry - I'm pre decimal!! And I'm trying to make mincepies at the same time!!) In case you haven't sussed it...keep an eye on the weight of metal you are buying...even if it means buying a tiny fraction more than you planned...try to get it to the next weight bracket in the little chart. It saves you a surprising amount of money!!

I think I'm going to give in and add some sheet to my order today. I need to see if the sheet will fuse as easily as the wire does - which could be amazing. I wish they'd got the solder in paste form though.

Barbara, it might be worth asking Cynthia Eid about using Argentium with metal clay - she's done so much amazing work with both I'd be surprised if she hasn't combined the two.

Yes George - you could be right! When I have a quiet moment I might see if I can find where to get in contact with her. I think there might be a few little parcels of Argentium sheet moving off the shelves this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Barbara, it might be worth asking Cynthia Eid about using Argentium with metal clay - she's done so much amazing work with both I'd be surprised if she hasn't combined the two.
    Well, George, I emailed Cynthia and have had a nice email back - but she says that she is no expert with pmc and cannot offer any suggestions other than to try firing the clay at the lowest temperature possible... Which I might try if I can stomach the thought of wasting more pmc and Argentium!!

Anyway - I have now sent an email to 'Metal Clay Guru', which seems to have connections with all the great names...so perhaps someone there will have some answers!!

I have never seen this site before and it looks like a great little resource for metal clay users...full of tips, ideas and photos of some great work - and they do a newsletter. This is the link for anyone interested in having a look... Metal Clay Guru - Get Enlightened about Everything Metal Clay - Metal Clay Guru - Home

I'll keep you posted if I get a reply from them about my.....'little problem'....!!

I've only just caught up with this. I'm surprised at the AS turning black in the kiln - can't think why that would happen.

You do have to use Sharpie pens - nothing else works.

I have a really good booklet written by Cindy Eid which she gave us when I did her course on Argentium. I'm off to my shows for a fortnight tomorrow but when I get back if anyone wants a photocopy, let me know.

She did send me a pdf file of "The New Silvers. Road Testing Argentium Sterling." September 2006. But if you have something else I would love to have a copy. Thanks!

I had better go invest in a Sharpie pen then!

I have read some information over the week end about annealing Argentium which says you have to water quench as soon as the red goes from the metal and the longer you leave it the harder the metal becomes. I have been scared to move it in case it breaks so I have probably left it too long before quenching. I have ordered some more so I will keep playing with it...I just think I will leave off the pmc for now and hope I get some more info from someone who has used the two together successfully!!

All the best with your shows!!