Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm not in love...but I am excited!!

My first batch of Argentium silver/pmc hybrids has just entered the kiln.....only speak in hushed tones now folks...we don't want any shockwaves over here for the next half hour or so!
    (That's an image of me peering through the peephole earlier!!!

Waiting with baited breath Barb.
    Linda

Veeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry In-ter-est-ing!!!!

I forgot to take a photo of them before I put them in the kiln...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pmcas1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	500

It's a bit scary to see the blackness of the Argentium against the beautiful silvery white of the pmc...

I thought all was well when I first took them out...except for the black!!! ....but....well You can't really see it very well - but the holly leaves at the back I had attached lengthways along the bow shaped AS links. Of course, I know - as do many of you - that pmc3 shrinks about 10% when it is fired. I also know - as do many of you - that AS is very fragile and brittle when it is red hot. What I didn't do is put the two facts together before putting the holly leaves into the kiln. Therefore - as the pmc has shrunk, it has tried to bend the AS link up...and the metal didn't like it!

Name:	pmcas2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	501

The other leaf was not attached over quite such a long area and seems to have survived...as do all the smaller stars and 'Helibores' which are only attached at one point...and therefore haven't bent the wire at all.

Name:	pmcas3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	502

Sorry the photos are so naf...

Right... my next proposed task comes with another set of problems... I want to try to enamel the 'hellebores' and stars. If I pickle these links now it will clean up the AS but the pmc will absorb some of the pickle and I don't know how that will affect enamelling it. Should I just ignore the black AS (even though it seems to be shedding little flecks of black everywhere [see second picture])and enamel the pmc and then pickle as a final activity? Or am I safe to pickle the pmc before enamelling....?

I would appreciate any answers....but I'm not sure I have the patience to wait for them!! Haahahahaha!!

I am really enjoying myself here...I love all this "what if..." and "I wonder if I can..." The only thing that is a bit upsetting is the cost when it goes wrong!!

Whhhoooooooppppp....whhhhhoooppppp!!!!

Name:	enam as.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	503

Straight out of the kiln!!! I am really really pleased...so far!! I can't see anything wrong with them....I have had a gentle wiggle...and nothing dropped off...which is always a good sign!!!

I did have a moment of major panic - when I realised that I would have to take the whole thing out of the kiln when the enamel had finished firing because you can't leave enamelling in to cool down with the kiln or it would overcook...and I could envisage all of the AS shattering as I moved it...but I did it!!! All that training with Kerplunk over my childhood years paid of at last!!

I'm really pleased with the enamel. The turquoise is stunning...the royal blue is a bit thick so you don't quite get the full transparent effect but it is a lovely colour. The emerald is gorgeous and the amber on the hellebores is a bit mucky but acceptable!! I wanted to keep a border of silver all round everything to give a sort of frost/ice effect....they are supposed to be for Christmas after all!! They are designed as bracelet links - but these will obviously end up as earring components.

Now I know it is working...up to a point... I will start churning out a few more in batches and see what else I can make with them!! I'll pickle and tidy them up after dinner...but - all in all - I think that has been a good day's work!!

oh well done B what lovely colours!!! I cant wait to have a go at enamelling
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Beautiful! And the holly looks like the one I have in my garden - Silver Queen. I have no idea what's happened to the attachment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails silver queen holly.GIF  
    Di x

They look great and the holly is ace!

I have to admit the blackening thing is rather going over my head.

With all these experiments, you could do with your own category, "From B's Workshop".

oh really good Barbara i like the flowers what are you making them into?x

In the past I have made links with pmc decorations which have worked well as components that can be used in bracelets, necklaces and earrings

Name:	Picture1er.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	505
    - so these were just Christmas theme ideas but it gave me the opportunity to play with the Argentium wire and pmc conbination as well.

Ironically - it is the holly one that I think has the most going for it so I will have to try modifying it a bit to make it less vulnerable...or alternatively - I could just make it with fine silver wire and not have all this stress!!

I was mortified with the amount of black oxide that was on the Argentium after the first kiln firing...I'm wondering if I need to fire it with the door ajar to allow more oxygen into the kiln so that it might encourage the germanium in the metal to bond with it and create the tarnish protection layer more effectively...

I just wish I knew more/understood more about this crazy metal!!

Forgive me for being totally fick - when the Argentium comes is it silver or black?
    Di x