Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Big fall-out

just out of interest, a case in the US...even when you HAVE copyright (sighs)
    Imitator Sues Me to Overturn Copyrights: Please Help Defend My Art: John T Unger Artist's Portfolio

That's very scary Em
    Linda

How totally annoying Carole!

Someone I was in a craft market bought some earrings from me once and had them copied in Thailand. Like you I was really livid and it was lucky for us both that a year elapsed until I bumped into her at another show at which point I waited until no-one else was around before going completely ballistic at her and warned her never to get near my stand EVER.
    I think those ^^ who told you to be controlled etc may be totally right but there comes a point when its just not going to do you any good to hold this anger inside.

I'm disgusted with the show organiser tho'. That is not good practice. <_<

I went to the Great Northern Cratt Fair on friday, and I saw some painted aluminum anticlastic bangles, they were nice but not a patch on yours, I was going to post a thread just to tell you this, yours are far superior to the ones at the fair,(there was nothing wrong with them, just not a patch on your artwork) I am shocked that someone would be so blatent as to copy you and try to sell in the same place, I would print signs saying that your work is being copied, a kind of disclaimer against copies and display prominently. Good luck and if all else fails 'whttgakhitt'
    Wendy

They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - but I'd still punch her in the tits!

The organiser should tell her that if she continues to copy your work, she wont be welcome at the craft fairs in future. It simply isnt on to copy and then turn up at the same craft fair!

I think a previous poster had it spot on. Constantly evolve and develop your work. Plagiarists will always be several steps behind. You are the true artist. Make your work harder to copy. I recently posted some of my work in another forum and got this reply from a member:

"It is so so so so...beautiful. Love love love....
    I will try to make a similar one. Hope it will be success."

I took a look at their website and it was on Alibaba selling stuff that looked like 'crafts' but selling at rock bottom prices. So I replied to him:

"Feel free to take inspiration

By inspiration, I mean not taking my designs and making cheap, mass produced knock-offs to sell for 1/5th of the price."

I guess there are people floating about on the forums ripping our designs off. Since starting my business I have been in two minds of whether to promote it on forums and display new work. Maybe I should take the links and pics down? I see quite a few senior members on here have no links.

Arborvita, I wouldn't worry a bit about that one. I know the forum you mean, and indeed the poster, who is one of two that the mods there have for some reason are allowed to remain on the board, despite the fact that one is promoting a website full of imported Chinese fake goods, and the other spams constantly. You have no need to worry that they might copy - I very much doubt they own so much as a pair of pliers.....

Quote: "I very much doubt they own so much as a pair of pliers..... "

A nice turn of phrase George, It will go into my book of original put downs. Happy new year, Dennis.

In a nut shell all this work that's being copied will not stop !! some folk are content not to make a profit, I think they just like the company of other people at these craft fairs, I sell jewellery that i could teach a student to make inside a day, but it's the speed I make it that gives me the profit, there's jewellery I've made which after finishing I've said that's a one off, if someone wants to copy it they're welcome.

I look at the jewellery industry and know we're losing the bottom half to China & Thailand and from experience (sadly) I know I can look at some forms of jewellery send the design to China and get it for a 10th of the price and boxed, the quality is dire but it seems some folk don't mind. I'll hasten to add, that I've NEVER done this.
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    She's copying my anticlastic bangles, bangles with charms, star pendant and earrings and several pieces with little flowers with gold centres.
    OMG I know exactly who you mean....
    I was having an internet trawl t'other day, I saw them and thought, bloody hell they are familiar!