Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big fall-out

Default Big fall-out

For months people have been telling me that another local jeweller has been copying my work. She was at the show today and when I looked at her table there were at least 10 things that were almost identical copies of mine. I was so furious that I'm afraid I had to say something. She denied copying, saying she'd been doing them for ages. She then burst into tears and went to tell the organiser that I was picking on her. I was shaking like a leaf as I don't like conflict. What can you do about people like that?

Aw, Carole, warm hugs. I can't give any advice as I'm not the most emotionally controlled person in the world and often act before thinking. Either that or I'd have moped around and got depressed.

So, not a helpful response, but just to say I feel for you in this.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Wrestle her to the ground and kick her in the tits?
    Now why couldn't I have thought of that?
    Di x

Good idea! I'll do that tomorrow!

Sorry, not practical or helpful. Bad Boo.

What did the organisers say? What a thoroughly horrible situation to be in - for which there's no easy answer.

If she has been copying you and knows it, she must have been dreading you coming to her stall. In which case, she'll know she's wrong and hopefully feel even worse than you about it.

Well to make matters worse, I've heard that she's accused me of copying her! The organiser was only concerned about there being an atmosphere. I was also upset by his reaction as I've been doing his shows for about 6 years (with said jewellery designs) and the other woman has only started them recently. I thought he might have had some loyalty to me but how wrong was I.

I'm not sure that I would have had the courage to say anything, although I would have really really wanted to, as I have no doubt that even though you are probably shaken up by the whole experience, it has probably had the desired effect and she will be too embarrassed to copy your work in the future. I have no doubt that sometimes we all do some pieces that are similar (e.g. hearts ), but a lot of your stuff is unique to you and if the jewellery she is producing are basically replicas of your designs and now she knows that she has been sprung she will undoubtedly stop.
    !
    LOL Lisa xx

Sadly Lisa, I don't think she'll stop copying as she knew I was aware of what she was doing last summer when she saw me looking at her table when I thought she was out of the way. She's even using the same web designer as me - how weird is that?

I thought long and hard about a sensible, constructive response to Carole's post !!! but ...........

Go Boo....Go Boo...... Go Boo, yeea, get yourself down Sarf Boo and kick some copycat ass!!

Big Cheer for Forum Girls xx