Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first wired piece of jewellery

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    I don't actually test the pieces with it - but it's just the kind of hazard people wearing jewellery at work etc. will have to face and their jewellery and clothes withstand - so I just try and imagine if the piece would withstand it. It's just one of my own personal mental checks when doing work.

I also tend to leave one join un-closed too - if someone really does get their jewellery trapped in a car door or piece of machinery, you want the jewellery to break before their neck does. I'm uneasy with the idea of entirely soldered links in a piece. Longevity is one thing, safety needs to be considered too.

If you used a book instruction, was the design made in silver - most wire patterns (other than wrapping) will usually specify half hard Sterling, but copper is much softer, you need to think of it like dead soft silver in designs and when following instructions - and take measures to harden accordingly.

Just make a test link for yourself - just like the ones in the design, if you can open it yourself by pulling on it lengthwise, as though it were trapped in something, does it come open pretty easily? I'm sure you'll know when handling the piece if it's likely to withstand wear.

And don't forget, open links can pull threads, snag in hair and scratch your neck if you've not closed them really neatly. So try wearing it and see how it performs.
    Thanks for the feedback Boo The design was in gold .8mm wire, but I used George's recommendation for doing a 'test' piece in copper - then realised it exactly matched the copper edging on the beads, so thought I'd make it up as a necklace. OMG - I've just re-read the instructions and it mentions work hardening the links

Yes, I always wear my pieces to see if they can withstand normal wear - its good advertising too!

Thanks guys for your compliments

xx
    Jules

those colours look lovely together (the beads + the copper). nice work!

I love that colour with copper as well. I wonder why it's such a winning combination.

I've got some of the same beads in red as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1508.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	492

The colour is not as dark as it looks, that's because I have my daylight angelpoise on. I am not sure if its as nice as the blue, but it has the same copper edging, so I'll probably have a go with a similar design for the red too, and see what it looks like. I'll be doing some work hammering on the blue one on Monday and having a go at making my first clasp - I'd love to do it now, but dinner beckons

xx
    Jules

I prefer the blue but these are gorgeous too, Jules - and they'll go superbly with copper too I suspect.
    Di x