Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi folks! I fight with computers... but LOVE silver!!

Post Hi folks! I fight with computers... but LOVE silver!!

Do you know it took me about 10 minutes to work out how to get started here!! I'm still not sure I've done it right...I'm hopeless with technology, but to do anything nowadays you've just got to step in the race and start running! - don't you agree?? I really love the look of this forum. I've been looking at the US ones and am thrilled to find a great UK based one...and you all sound really friendly! I started teaching myself to work with fine (999) silver - using fusing techniques - after finishing my HND in 3D Design in 2007...and I fell in love!! I wanted something that would compliment my pmc work and couldn't find any fine silver chains anywhere so I decided to make my own!! It was so therapeutic that I have done very little else since!! At the beginning of this month I became self employed and have been struggling with the business side ever since! I hope the jewellery making/business admin balance will resolve itself soon as I am missing out on hours of fun in my studio!!
    I look forward to chatting to you all!
    Barbara

Hi Barbara

I'm sure you'll find a new home here & you're doing fine with the technology stuff!
    If you go into your profile area at the top (blue menu line, the one next to home)
    you can add things like your website and online shops or a signature.

There's also a section called Album where providing the pictures are small
    you can upload images of your work. I'd love to see some examples of your
    fused chains (I'm a ACS & PMC girl myself so love fine silver anything!)

Nicola x
    Last edited by MuranoSilver; 20-07-2009 at 08:08 AM.
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Hello Barbara
    I'm sure there are lots of people here that can help you on the business side of things if you need it.
    A few of us are self employed - so we have been there and done that as it were - me included - so just give us a shout

Thank you so much Alexandra!! - I knew joining this forum would be a good idea! I may well take you up on your offer of help! I've just looked at your website - lovely - all that wire work makes me go all gooey inside! It's so nice to join something where everyone else has a similar interest...I think I will enjoy this!
    Barbara
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 20-07-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Missed out name of person I was replying to!

Thanks Barbara - glad you like my work.
    I've really enjoyed being part of this new forum. As you say, its great to be in touch with like minded people.
    What I love most is that everyone's work is so different - i've actually found it quite inspiring - it has made me want to try some new techniques

And yes - I'd be glad to help where I can.

Hello Barbara, welcome to this growing forum. I too have just become self employed and have the same admin problem. Also being 'at home' has its own distractions. As I took redundancy I had access to resettlement courses through my employer which have clarified a few things. I have a tax one with HMRC next month - when you register as self employed they should have asked you if you wanted to attend it?

That sounds interesting - I seem to have missed out on that somehow. I have gone from being a stay at home mum with a hobby to being self employed - so I didn't have a previous employer. I went to the local council to find out about self employment and was given a Business Advisor to help me with the Business Plan and so on. I had 5 meetings with him. He seemed to think I had the makings of a good business and helped me get a small start up grant from the council. It's the 'books' and the banking:p I'm hopeless with - and the time management - trying to fit it all around family obligations - they don't tell you how hard all that is!! And of course there is the constant hunt for ways to find new customers - hence my forray into computers and web 2.0 (or whatever my sons called it!!) None of that was in my idyllic vision of being self employed doing something I love!

Default Thanks Nicola and Alexandra!

And thanks Nicola and Alexandra for your words of encouragement and support. Much as I love my hubby and my boys, I live in a 'testosterone zone' and supportive as they are in their own way they just don't get it if you know what I mean. I have felt very isolated recently and it has taken a bit of the shine of my little bit of jewellery heaven. I think this forum might give me some of the 'virtual' arty minded friends I have been missing since graduating in 2007.

Feeling isolated is never good. I know what you mean about missing arty friends. I have found a few locally who I have been exhibiting with, but they are mainly painters and potters - which has encouraged me to pick up a paintbrush again - but I would love to have some local jewellery minded people.
    Seeing as my computer is on the same table that I make my jewellery - you are all very local

Hi Barbara, great to have a fellow PMC'er on here :-)
    Emma