Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locket

Default Locket

OMG what have I done! I've just taken on a commission for a large silver locket and I've never done one before. It's hammered and round and made from argentium. So far I've done the circles and fused silver stems onto them ready for silver flowers with gold centres once the locket is ready for assembly. (Argentium fuses fantastically, yeay!)

Does anyone have any tips on making lockets, as it's a new one on me? It'll take me a while 'cos I haven't got the right tube for the hinge and I've only just had an order from Cooksons.

Oooooo....crumbs!! I hope you haven't got a deadline for this locket!?? I think Tim McCreight has done a book on lockets and boxes...but I can't remember exactly what it has got in it. I'm quite excited that you have found Argentium to fuse well...I'm hoping to have a proper play with it over the week end...nothing quite as special as you though! Sorry I can be of no help to you...except I'll cross my fingers for you if that helps!!

Silversmithess eh! Thanks for the comments. I've just had a go at fusing some 3mm argentium silver wire to make a bangle and it worked perfectly. Fantastic, as I normally spend ages filing away solder, which is really boring when I make 30 or so at a time.

Good luck with it! I'd love to see pics of it in progress!

Carole, you'll be fine and you'll do it beautifully. And when its done - show us a pic
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Silversmithess eh! Thanks for the comments. I've just had a go at fusing some 3mm argentium silver wire to make a bangle and it worked perfectly. Fantastic, as I normally spend ages filing away solder, which is really boring when I make 30 or so at a time.
    Ooooo...fusing.....music to my ears!!! I have bought some Argentium solders but I would much prefer to fuse it! Do you flux and fuse or does it just fuse as 'virgin' metal like fine silver does?

Probably stupid question here, but I thought you could only fuse fine silver (not that I've done it but read about it )? Or can you fuse silver over a certain percantage.....of silver?

You just flux and fuse. Simples!

OK, so I must be really stoopid becuse I thought with fusing you didn't use any solder or flux, but just heat. Can you fuse sterling?

Sorry Carole, I'm keeping you away from your locket but my thirst for information just won't be quenched.
    Quench me, quench me!

You have to be careful if you quench too soon!

With argentium you just flux it (with Auroflux ideally) and heat it until it fuses together. You don't have to worry about firestain. You do have to be careful not to move the piece too soon as it's quite brittle until it cools down and you shouldn't quench it too soon!