Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locket

Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    OK, so I must be really stoopid becuse I thought with fusing you didn't use any solder or flux, but just heat. Can you fuse sterling?

Sorry Carole, I'm keeping you away from your locket but my thirst for information just won't be quenched.
    Quench me, quench me!
    My spiral beads are just fused Lesley no flux but i think argentium sounds excellent for this as no firestain x

Oooh good luck with the locket - looking forward to seeing the pics
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    OMG what have I done! I've just taken on a commission for a large silver locket and I've never done one before. It's hammered and round and made from argentium. So far I've done the circles and fused silver stems onto them ready for silver flowers with gold centres once the locket is ready for assembly. (Argentium fuses fantastically, yeay!)

Does anyone have any tips on making lockets, as it's a new one on me? It'll take me a while 'cos I haven't got the right tube for the hinge and I've only just had an order from Cooksons.
    Is it the hinge yr having problems with? or the clasp? Tube is really easy to make if you have the right tools. I have noticed a few people ask about hinges, may consider making a video about hinge making.
    Have you made this locket already?

Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    OK, so I must be really stoopid becuse I thought with fusing you didn't use any solder or flux, but just heat. Can you fuse sterling?

Sorry Carole, I'm keeping you away from your locket but my thirst for information just won't be quenched.
    Quench me, quench me!
    you can pretty much fuse most metals with the right placement of heat but in most cases fusing might not stand much work on it without splitting, where a soldered item might be able to be worked on. The other side of fusing is that if applied incorrectly may cause fire stain or 'sweating' in some metals.
    Brazing is very similar to fusing and has a whole lot of different issues depending on the alloys and metals.

Look forward to some pics...I have only made a swing locket. How do ypu make flowers then?
    Yes Tim McCreight has a boxes and lockets book....(on my list )
    Em