Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire Weaving...

Default Wire Weaving...

I am never very comfortable with the thought of posting threads on this category but here goes....

I've been having a play with wire weaving - since I am still feeling a bit under the weather (it's been nearly 6 weeks now!!) - and this seemed like a fairly easy process in principle!!

I have only used silver plated wire and had to guess how much to use...so it has ended up 25cm long!!

It is only my first attempt and I am pretty pleased the way it has come out...what do you think?? (Please excuse hairy arm!! - could do with a bit of photoshopping!!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baraid bracelet.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	473

Name:	braid blet.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	474

I've just folded the ends over for now although it is firm enough to chop them off without it unravelling! I have got the instructions from this book http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/b...re_jewelry.jpg and there are loads of ideas in there for different weaves and using pmc as end pieces and focals so I think there is lots of potential.

Ultimately I want to have a go using Argentium...but this piece - although a bit on the long side!!- took about 4 metres, so it won't be cheap! Has anyone tried using Argentium with pmc yet? I don't know whether I should try to 'slip'/embed end pieces on or solder them...

Any thoughts anybody? I might try a ring sized piece over the weekend and try both techniques...but all comments welcomed!!

It looks fantastic Barbara, how long did it take you to do??

Four metres of wire!! blummin' eck that is going to be expensive in Argentium, what gauge is it?

It was surprisingly easy when once I got started. I guess it was about an hour or so but spread around making the dinner! I used .8 gauge and there are 12 strands woven together. No - if I do it in Argentium it won't be in the bargain basement section that is for sure!! Of course - I will make it shorter - but then if I add pmc the cost goes up again!! Still - it has a nice weight to it! I would love to try some of the collars in the book - when I really get the hang of it.

AN HOUR !!!!!

It takes me days to make anything !!

I love collars, chokers and all that sort of thing, particularly byzantine weave, can't wait to see the final result.

bloody hell that looks brilliant and only took you an hour!!! sheesh!
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

That looks great B

It seems a shame to chop the ends after all that work - could you not loop them over eachother to make an adjustable bangle?

It really is that quick!!... I've decided have have a go at the ring pieces now. I ordered a couple of metres of 0.5 when Argentium first come out in July to have a go at knitting/crocheting...but hey! this is better!! It's rather like knitting those tubes with the old dolly cotton reel that I did as a kid!! I started this at quarter to 12 and I have got this far and that includes the time taken to photograph and upload it and write this - which takes me ages!! I'm only using 8 strands but it is working up rather well! I'll keep going to the end of the wire (I just cut the 2 metre lengths in half then folded them in 2 - making 8 quarter metre lengths) and then I will cut ring lengths off of the finished piece.

Name:	ringweave.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	475

I'm sure I will do something with the plated piece George...but it was only intended as a practice piece so I'm not too bothered...I can't do anything else with the wire....I got a huge batch from Wires ages ago and it had a strange smell to it (I know it sounds odd) but I thought it would wear off...but it doesn't....not even if I wash it!! Not the sort of thing you want to make tiaras out of!!! (phew!!) So it does well as practice wire!!

Both look fabulous.

I've done something similar with leather for bracelets, but not in wire. I actually drew a sketch for a design that had a section plaited like that earlier this week to work in copper, but haven't tried it yet.

Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Now that is gorgeous! Chokers would be lovely.

Wow that looks amazing.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/