Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Staffordshire

Smile Hello from Staffordshire

Hi

I've done a bit of beading but was really interested in Silversmithing/jewellery making. I finally enrolled at my local evening class and after 2 sessions was informed that they were closing it down until the new year as some of the equipment was not working. So I'm left high and dry now (until the new year) and wanting to make a start - does anyone know of any online workshops for beginners that I could try?

Thanks

Gill

Hello and welcome to the forum Gill

Don't know of any online workshops I'm afraid... Hope someone else can help.

Btw, I went to Staffordshire Uni

Hi Gill,

Sorry I don't know of any online courses but there are a number of You Tube videos that are quite informative.

Failing that you might want to try a weekend course?

Lisa x

Hi Gill...how upsetting for you to be left high and dry like that!! I think YouTube is a great resource but I think most of us have taught ourselves lots of stuff from books. We did have a thread going about what is on our jewellery book shelves - and there are quite a lot recommended that serve well as reference books for life too... here is the link to the thread... http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jew...bookshelf.html.... Now you KNOW what you want for Christmas!!

And I think that practically every question that has ever been asked on this forum has had some sort of answer...so never be afraid of asking!!

Hi Gill
    The other online place to look is Ganoskin, loads of articles, videos etc. there. Plus, of course, all the helpful folks on here!

Lorraine

Hi Gill

Sorry to hear your course got cancelled like that - it can't be fun. I hope you find inspiration on the forum - can be difficult not too I find.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Hi Gill & welcome
    I'd recommend the library & youtube - know how you feel about wanting to learn something & not being about to
    J x

Hi welcome to the forumd Gill, so sory that you have been let down, hope the suggestions here have been of some help to u
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Quote Originally Posted by gill55 View Post
    Hi

I've done a bit of beading but was really interested in Silversmithing/jewellery making. I finally enrolled at my local evening class and after 2 sessions was informed that they were closing it down until the new year as some of the equipment was not working. So I'm left high and dry now (until the new year) and wanting to make a start - does anyone know of any online workshops for beginners that I could try?

Thanks

Gill
    Hi Gill and Welcome to the forum from another Staffie! What a shame about your course being cancelled. I too am a fellow beader and convert to all things silver and can't wait to get going too. I practice with copper and have found it very useful and am told that it reacts in very much the same way as sterling silver does, plus its cheaper.

As all the others have said, try books and also YouTube too. The other place I'd try is your local library - try before you buy!

We all look forward to hearing more from you.

xx
    Jules

Gill just by hanging around this forum you'll learn lots. Lots of us are self taught and we've learned lots more here than we ever thought possible. Ask away - no question is too silly and there is always somebody with an answer.

The other thing is on here you will learn why things are done in a certain way and not just do it because you're told to. The members range from real beginners to professional jewellers.
    Di x